Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ordeal of Blood: General Match/Strategy guide

Welcome to the Ordeal of Blood! This guide exists to teach newbies the general ins and outs of a match.

This guide is split into 2 sections - the Match guide and the strategy guide

Match Guide:

All strategies must abide by the rules, and are subject to certain criteria.

Strategy related rules

Legal moves:
    Use the Tier List Thread to check which moves are allowed for each character, but keep in mind that it is only a reference guide and not a 100% comprehensive listing of all attacks. Each character begins in their base state if they have a transformation, unless otherwise noted on their tier list entry. Please note that moves that are banned are usually placed on a characters tier list profile. Not all of a characters moves/variations of attacks may be placed on a characters profile, so moves not on the profile but not named as banned are not illegal.

IC Rule (Important):

- Characters behave as if they have a strong incentive to obey your instructions, and will work together in a team professionally to achieve your aim (victory).

- Every character behaves professionally and with perfect resolve, and their in-character state of mind does not count to the point of hesitating to attack a character on the other team. Luffy will attack his Nakama, Sanji will attack women, Usopp will face down Blackbeard if he is asked to.

- They will otherwise follow the strategy to the best of their ability. However, if a character encounters a situation where they can't follow the strategy, or the strategy hasn't accounted for that situation, that character behaves completely IC but is still interested in working as a team to fulfill the contestant’s ends.

Prep Phase (Important):
    Your team has infinite time to disseminate amongst themselves information about each other and about your strategy. Items and weapons (ex. dials, swords, lances, firearms) may be exchanged during the prep phase. No other actions may be taken with said items other then to exchange them between characters. Once an item has been exchanged no other action may be taken. For example you cannot load a Burn Bazooka, or charge up an impact dial.

Knowledge (Important):
    Each character has all first hand knowledge they have in the manga. They also have perfect knowledge of their own team’s characters which is assumed to be shared before the match. They may have second hand knowledge, that is, in-character knowledge they’re imagined to have despite not showing in the manga (e.g. mention of Luffy's attack on EL may elude to the fact they know of his gomu gomu powers), but it’s up to each voter to decide that.

Metagaming (IMPORTANT:
    You may not write your strategy in such a way as to use your own personal knowledge of your enemy team, where your own team lacks such knowledge, to your advantage. This means that you cannot prepare contingencies to attacks your team doesn’t know about or tailor your strategy to defeat about around their defenses when your team isn’t aware of them. If your strategy is metagaming it may be judged invalid, leaving your team without a strategy.

Camping:
    Characters may not go underground, underwater, in the air, or in a remote location with the express intent on camping. If a character does go underground or underwater they must make a concerted effort to attack and not just remain stationary whilst beneath the surface, and must make an attempt to resurface during some point in the battle. If characters are deemed camping in a strat then that part will declared void, and the characters will be rendered IC.

Camping restrictions are a bit hard to define. But, in general, if a character is spending significantly more time in a certain medium than they are on land (Say, Jinbei in the ocean), it's probably camping.

Match Related Rules

Contestant rules:

- Post your strategy within 48 hours of the match being posted, and as soon as you can. This is your only chance to tell your team what to do.
    - You may debate as much as you want after posting your strategy by posting in your match. You may critique the opponent’s strategy and debate votes, and you’re advised to answer questions from potential voters.
    - Do not beg or bribe for votes from anyone – this may result in disqualification. You’re also advised not to direct people unaffiliated with the Tournament but personally close to you to your match, as they may be biased towards you.(This includes participants of other battle domes and tournament sections)
    - Be aware that a voter does not need to defend their vote under questioning.

Post your strategy in spoiler tags. Both you and your opponent are forbidden from looking at each other's strategies until both have posted them.

Match Extensions:
    Each typical tournament match runs for 72 Hours (Three days). When there are twenty-four hours remaining, a warning may be posted, but is not required. Since it is optional, the lack of a warning does not warrant an extension of the match. If a match ends in a draw, then a 24 hour extension will be added, and the match will go into overtime.

If after 24 hours, the match is still tied will be extended then it will go into sudden death. The first vote received will be the deciding factor, and the recipient of this vote will win the match.

Voting Rules:

- Clearly declare your vote on a free line in a bold typeface or large font, e.g. Vote: Ultra

- Post along with your vote a brief justification. Show evidence that you’ve read both strategies (but not necessarily rebuttals) and have thought about how they compare. If you don’t give reasoning that proves you’ve read both strategies, your vote won’t count.

- Everyone’s vote is equal and you may only vote for one contestant in each match. You may change your vote as many times as you want before the end of the match: to do so, edit your original post to remove the vote, and then make a new post for your new vote.

- There is no minimum vote requirement for each match.

Strategy guide:

(Normally, I would put a team building section here, but in this tourney, you've already created your teams, so I'll fill this part in later)

Things to keep in mind

Location: How familiar your characters are with the location, how you can use it to your advantage, how the opponent may use it to their advantage, etc. Always keep the location in mind when writing a strategy.

Distance: Same applies as above. Distance can make a lot of difference in the tactics you and your opponent use.

Knowledge: What do your characters know about the other team, and how can they use that knowledge in their favor?

Writing a strategy

* Your basic goal when making a strategy is to defeat the enemy team in the best way possible. Sometimes, this just consists of spamming attacks, others, it requires thoughtful play and prediction of the opponent. Here's how ya do it:

* Strategies can be as comprehensive as the player wants them to be, ranging from a few sentences to a full blown essay on how their team plans to win. The common strategy has a few key components, and while it is not required that you post your strategy in any particular format, these are some common and effective ways to format your strategy -
    - Prep phase: As stated in the match guide, both teams are allowed a prep phase before the match begins (In the prep phase, characters are only allowed to talk/share knowledge and exchange equipment.) Characters are allowed an infinite amount of time during the prep phase to do this, however, so take advantage of it.

- Knowledge: As stated in the match guide, your knowledge of the opposing team is limited to only what your characters know. Some find it helpful to list this knowledge in their strategy for the voters.

- Phases: Some find it helpful to divide their strategies into different phases, or different times of execution. Within the separate phases, it is also helpful to split character actions into multiple bullet points. Overall, your strategy is more effective when it's made clear when a characters will be performing a certain action, and what actions other characters will be performing at that time.

- What if's?: These are normally placed at the very end of a strategy. What ifs are actions that amend your characters behavior from the main strategy depending on what your opponent does. Ex: If we see Whitebeard climb up a tree, we'll cut it down instead of attacking their team from underground.

Here are some examples of strategies formatted in this matter:
    http://www.narutoforums.com/showpost...3&postcount=10
    http://www.narutoforums.com/showpost...29&postcount=9

After you read the examples, it's fairly self-explanatory

Feel free to ask any questions or comment on what you think should be added/modified in this guide.

An abridged version of the rules is posted in the OP of each match.
    Last edited by Ultra Boss; 04-11-2014 at 11:09 PM.

I actually thought of camping strategy that involved starving out the enemy team out, by buying all the characters with the largest mass and having them hide somewhere eating each other. Good thing I decided against it

Quote Originally Posted by opfan25341 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually thought of camping strategy that involved starving out the enemy team out, by buying all the characters with the largest mass and having them hide somewhere eating each other. Good thing I decided against it
    The first finale match on NF featured Rob Lucci going inside Blueno's air dimension and eating Moria to outlast the other team.

Yeah that was gonna be my strat but with kraken or wadatusumi

today is a good day to lose

Banned
    I see in your examples that there are a bunch of different phases. I assume one person writes out there phase one, and then the other person responds to it?

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    I see in your examples that there are a bunch of different phases. I assume one person writes out there phase one, and then the other person responds to it?
    Oh, no, that's not how it works.

Actually, thanks for reminding me of the most obvious yet important rule(s) of all:

1. All strats are final. One you post them, no editing allowed, unless your opponent has not posted their strategy yet.

2.DO NOT LOOK AT THE OPPONENT'S STRATEGY (until both of you have written your strats). All strats are posted in spoiler tags so the opponent knows not to view. If you're paranoid about your opponent viewing it, you can PM your strat to a 3rd party to post it for you.
    Last edited by Ultra Boss; 04-11-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    Oh, no, that's not how it works.

Actually, thanks for reminding me of the most obvious yet important rule(s) of all:

1. All strats are final. One you post them, no editing allowed, unless your opponent has not posted their strategy yet.

2.DO NOT LOOK AT THE OPPONENT'S STRATEGY. All strats are posted in spoiler tags so the opponent knows not to view. If you're paranoid about your opponent viewing it, you can PM your strat to a 3rd party to post it for you.
    So like, there are a set amount of phases and we write strategies for each phase?

Also, I think it would be smart to post or strategies to a third party to post.

It goes like this

1. Posting each persons strats

When both strats are posted, people vote on the one they think they would win. the people who are participating in the match can rebuttal directly toward the voters or against their opponent. There are no phases, it's pretty freeform

So like, there are a set amount of phases and we write strategies for each phase?

Also, I think it would be smart to post or strategies to a third party to post.
    No set amount of phases. You don't even have to include phases in your strategy, it's just a way of better organizing the actions performed in your strategy, and to prevent longer strats from becoming convoluted.

I'll give you an example. I've got a basic idea of what I want my strategy to be: I'm going to hit the team with a bunch of ranged attacks and then charge in for close combat.

Phase 1 would be describing what ranged attacks you're using, who is using them. Let's say I want to stop spamming range after a certain amount of time, say, when a few of the opponent's character dies. I say "phase 2 begins when ----"

Then I go to phase 2 and describe my plan to go after them.

I find this format easier than just writing paragraphs, mainly because an essay-like strat doesn't do a good job of conveying multiple actions at once.

If my character knows someone on the other team in the manga, can he/she/it use that knowledge for his/her/its own team?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Rob always has the last word. In fact, I'd argue that Rob > God.

At least Rob wouldn't give us the appendix and call it an intelligent design.

The Indomitable Spirit The Shogun of Shoguns's Avatar
    How do I know when a certain character dies?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoro Meitou View Post
    How do I know when a certain character dies?
    You don't. You just instruct them on how to kill the other team. The voters decide who dies, and ultimately who wins, based on their interpretation of the strategies.

Banned
    Okay, I get that part of it. Now, another question. Do I try to post strategies to my characters reacting? Or do I purposely make it one-sided. What I mean by that is that I'd be like, "Luffy attacks BB" and not have to worry about what BB does with Luffy attacking him?

Okay, I get that part of it. Now, another question. Do I try to post strategies to my characters reacting? Or do I purposely make it one-sided. What I mean by that is that I'd be like, "Luffy attacks BB" and not have to worry about what BB does with Luffy attacking him?
    That's what I was thinking aswell, like can you do whatever you want without them doing anything back?

We should PM the strats to Ultra.

Allara doesn't trust us. I'm hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by King Allara View Post
    We should PM the strats to Ultra.
    Not me