Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 107
  1. #81
    From what everyone has said here, it looks like I'm going to really like this manga! I'll give it a try

  2. #82
    Dai Don Dedede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    France
    Posts
    5,116
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodNGuts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From what everyone has said here, it looks like I'm going to really like this manga! I'll give it a try
    Alright

    Make a reading log when you start so that we can follow your progress encourage you and exchange about the manga

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai Don Dedede View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alright

    Make a reading log when you start so that we can follow your progress encourage you and exchange about the manga
    I'll be sure to do that!

  4. #84
    like seashells Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    926
    i remember this forum in particular promoting kingdom and my friend recently started reading the manga begging me to read it

    im glad i read this manga b/c its excellent at what it does and that is politics and warfare, it kinda flirts in the shonen terretority too which is why i was so drawn to it

    the characters are likable and are easily distinguished with great art IMO
    "No I'm not a pornstar but I eat somebody"

  5. #85
    @Indra; when did you start reading Kingdom, around what arc was the current chapter/where you caught up?

  6. #86
    like seashells Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    926
    i started reading two weeks ago and im caught up at the moment
    "No I'm not a pornstar but I eat somebody"

  7. #87
    O.O

    Any thoughts?

  8. #88
    like seashells Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    926
    it's my favorite manga currently along with one piece

    I enjoyed every single arc mostly because the characters made it worth while. granted some characters are clearly weak, I enjoyed the ambiguity in strength surrounding the greater generals, which made warfare incredibly interesting. case in point - moubu vs kanmei.

    also kanki is cool as shit but the more his character is fleshed out in this current arc, the more I'm starting to dislike him because he goes against sei's vision for china. but that's probably an unpopular opinion anyways, because everyone loves kanki.
    Last edited by Loki; 07-21-2016 at 01:48 PM.
    "No I'm not a pornstar but I eat somebody"

  9. #89
    YES - Roundabout Gift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,125
    Is it just badass characters & fights? How is it story-telling, world building, character development wise?



  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it just badass characters & fights? How is it story-telling, world building, character development wise?
    i would say it's less fight if by that you mean a battle manga type "fight". character development for MC is great until nowadays, everyone else is still great IMO. but I guess Hara is trying to set up for MC for a later arc

  11. #91
    like seashells Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    926
    The badass characters and fights are just one of Kingdom's strongest points but you can expect a lot more. You will respect the badass characters because the author portrays them so well. The fights are the most exciting part.. its both thrilling and compelling because it involves tactics

    The story-telling is amazing. It has a rich dialogue, a ton of epic moments, and plot twists. It's an engaging manga in that aspect. The main characters are all striving for something great and the author does a good job at detailing this journey with solid pacing. The art is probably one of the main selling points of the manga because it harmonizes so well with the realistic feel of the story. It makes the panels easy to follow so you won't really get lost in the author's story telling

    The world-building is done in a real, historical setting so expect different battlefields such as terrains, mountain, forests, etc. Character development is also a strong point of this manga. You'll see them get stronger, intelligent through experiences. Their pursuit for the most difficult goal really put their ambitions to test so you'll be in for a wild ride. Although their goals are difficult, my favorite part about it is that their growth and maturity are more practical in realistic term and believable, even though it’s also exaggerated at times in some way
    "No I'm not a pornstar but I eat somebody"

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it just badass characters & fights?
    Arguably the main pull of this manga is, but the twist is that it's a war manga so it's battles with badass duels being the deciding factor. Also, strategic moments being badass as well.

    How is it story-telling, world building, character development wise?
    Story telling is overall solid, pretty top tier stuff at its best and mediocre/kinda bad at its worst. World building is different from the usual, you get different locations of battles that are a bit varied but the twist is that politics plays a major role in his series so you have something that pastes the world together, unlike most other series imo. Character development is overall weak, only a handful get great character development while most get their character establishment and just coast from there. It's good enough to be entertaining but critically underwhelming.

  13. #93
    YES - Roundabout Gift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,125
    Good to hear that and it sounds promising. How strong is the foreshadowing? When does the story pickup? (or does it have a slow start)



  14. #94
    Jjcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,604
    The first/introduction arc is not bad per se, but it doesn't really concentrate on what Kingdom truly is about.

    Chapter 60 (I think) is where the first legit war happens, so that's where it starts the good shit.

    "It's hard to beat a person who never gives up."

  15. #95
    yep. first arc is kinda a background introductory to our MC, but overall the manga starts doing what it does in the first war (the next arc). first arc is not the best, but probably one of the worst (which is still good if we compare it to other manga)

  16. #96
    Few things to note about Kingdom. As a disclaimer, as was already said and is probably already known, this is a historic manga. This is based off of real life events, however there are numerous purely fictional characters, characters that are loosely based off of historical characters, and characters who are supposed to be representative of historical characters, though sometimes, perhaps even a lot of the time, they don't exactly portray the real life character. So while this is a historical fiction, the author takes a ton of liberties, and many would argue it's for the better, as it keeps things relatively fresh and interesting. However, if you really want to know, you can find out what happens by looking up the history if you really care.

    The series is classified as a seinen, though it has numerous shonen elements to it. The MC is very shonen, though I don't think is terrible. One of the great things about this series, which was kind of mentioned, is it's really an epic. It takes place over many years so you see both physical and mental growth in many characters, where in so many series it takes place in a relatively static period of time, with perhaps a timeskip or two. In this series, time is constantly moving, so you do see some actual growth in the characters, which is really refreshing to me.

    The art starts off kinda weird, however by chapter 50 it starts to really improve, and if you were to look at panels from the current content, you'd be like "wtf holy shit". And this is a weekly series, so the mangaka does 18 pages of this, which makes it even more impressive.

    When it comes to the story, the author does an overall solid job with the drama, has created numerous fantastic characters, and has created an exciting, tense world, though obviously the world is historic. I will agree with Void that at times the character growth feels stagnant at times. That may seem contradictory to what I said earlier about the growth of the characters, but if you look at the MC now and compare it to the MC in the very early part of the series, you see a really starrk contrast in character.

    When it comes to world-building, there really isn't any "building". It's more about expanding on the map that's given to us, showing us different areas and peoples from different states. It does feel fresh because of how big China is and how varied the environment can be, but it's not like One Piece or Toriko or HxH where the map kinda expands. To me, you shouldn't look at the series as having world building, but about situations being put in interesting locations and settings. It doesn't have the depth of the aforementioned series, but it's still incredibly enjoyable imo.


    Overall, this is unquestionably, at least imo, one of the best ongoing weekly manga in any genre or demographic. If you find joy in reading action/battle manga, I highly recommend it and I think everybody who enjoys that kind of content should at least check Kingdom out. In the west, it's criminally underrated, though in Japan it's gotten quite popular. The series now has almost 500 chapters, though the author said it can go for several hundred more, so you can be looking at a series that'll be going on for another several years, and a series that you can follow week to week and reliably enjoy. If you're someone who enjoyed Naruto or Bleach or Toriko and wants something to fill that gap and haven't found it yet, Kingdom may be that series for you. And that goes for anyone who's looking to pick up a weekly series.

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good to hear that and it sounds promising. How strong is the foreshadowing? When does the story pickup? (or does it have a slow start)
    Foreshadowing is alright at its best but is kinda nonexistent after awhile.

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSlayerOrnstein View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    When it comes to world-building, there really isn't any "building". It's more about expanding on the map that's given to us, showing us different areas and peoples from different states. It does feel fresh because of how big China is and how varied the environment can be, but it's not like One Piece or Toriko or HxH where the map kinda expands. To me, you shouldn't look at the series as having world building, but about situations being put in interesting locations and settings. It doesn't have the depth of the aforementioned series, but it's still incredibly enjoyable imo.
    I disagree, worldbuilding is not all about introducing new spots and expanding the known world like some kind of RPG. Toriko's "worldbuilding" is more akin to the author throwing bricks and even bigger bricks at you without really making it into a coherent world. Whereas Kingdom gives us battlefields/locations that have strategic and political importance as well as buildup and consequences to them that is cemented together with the political arcs that show us how the states work and respond to each other.

  18. #98
    like seashells Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    926
    I think Kingdom starts well because the first arc is one of my favorites
    "No I'm not a pornstar but I eat somebody"

  19. #99
    say-and-sing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    here tokay
    Posts
    2,669
    I guess I never read of someone favoring the first arc


  20. #100
    After seeing this series be compared to Toriko enough times, I think I have enough motivation to get back to it.

    I'm going to pick up where I left off when I'm done with midterms.

    This video is what did it for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFO2HwoLrNc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •