Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

I had wanted to play this game since before it came out and finally got around to buying it this summer. I have just about been playing it nonstop and I greatly enjoy it. Has anyone else played this game or is interested? You can choose the look of your character, play as several vocations, fight many different monsters and enemies such as griffins, hydras and chimeras and get help from sidekicks called pawns, whom you can hire from other players to help you out. I've recently started on Bitterblack Isle but have decided to level up a bit more in order to get some specific stat increases and weapons.

Here's a video of all the sorcerer skills, one of the several vocations you can choose, just so you can have an idea.

And a boss fight against the Hydra.

Banned
    I actually did buy this game not too long ago. Unfortunately for the game, I also bought Dark Souls and it quickly lost to it. I only played it for an hour or two and wasn't that drawn into it.

Try putting some more time into it. Or if you really want to dedicate yourself, some beforehand research would really help in your character build. Funny thing is, the exact opposite happened with me. I've had and tried Dark Souls for some time and it never took off for me. This? I went soaring.

How awesome am I?
    Awesome
    Super Awesome

Ha ha. I quit Dark Souls twice before I finally understood the game. I was planning on getting Dogma too, but I ended up getting Kingdoms of Amalur last week. Maybe next time.

Eww, KoA. I hated that game with a passion. Too incredibly shallow. The whole game is walking kiddy pool. Shallow mechanics, shallow quests, shallow amount of monsters and textures, shallow amount of items and armor to use, 1 big boss in the whole game. etc.

Always wanted to try DD though, will eventually get around to it

Banned
    Fuck, I bought KOA and played it for about an hour because that shit was so dumb. I might play DD after I finish getting through my Old Gen games, which may be a long time since I just ordered both Paper Marios.

Yeah its pretty terrible. i almost dropped it once i found out there is no stealth in the game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Neph View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah its pretty terrible. i almost dropped it once i found out there is no stealth in the game.
    I was looking for a game somewhat similar to Skyrim and was told KOA was similar, and the cover looked super cool. I couldn't have been more disappointed.

How awesome am I?
    Awesome
    Super Awesome

No fast travel?

You mostly walk, but there are items called portcrystals that you obtain in time that you can set anywhere on a map (outside of a dungeon/town) that you can use a special item to port to. It may seem a bit much at first but in time it won't be so bad. If you follow certain missions and raise certain people's affinities you can buy the item that you use to port at a discounted price from a special seller and you'll be rolling in dough towards the endgame too. It's not that bad.

How awesome am I?
    Awesome
    Super Awesome

Yeah, but it still isn't something I'm willing to go through with.

...really? A little traveling in game makes you avoid it completely?

How awesome am I?
    Awesome
    Super Awesome

No, it's not just that. It's that I've heard the story isn't that great either. I'm really tempted to get it for the Boss battles and all. And the environment. But no story, no game. Still though, if Kingdoms continues to be a child's lala land game with too many colors and repetitiveness, I might get it in the future. Just not now when it costs more than 20 bucks.

What are you wanting from the story? It has a story and its own mythos but I have no idea what exactly you're looking for. And I got this game for 27.99 off of Amazon. And regarding traveling, well, half of the fun is exploring an unknown area and suddenly running into a chimera. Or leaving a fortress and all of a sudden a griffin swoops down and attacks you at night and then disappears into the dark sky. Heck, I even accidentally ran into a drake in the middle of the night while exploring a new forest. I was completely unprepared but escaped with my life. I also really enjoy how strategic you can get in leveling up your character. Each vocation will level up your character in different ways and if you want to pay a lot of attention to that, you can certainly do so and develop a character that has the stats that you really want.

How awesome am I?
    Awesome
    Super Awesome

It's not about what I want from the story, really. It's about how well it's told. I've played quite a few games. And some of them are argueably the best games out there, storywise at least. The Fire Emblem series and Dragon Age Origins are some of the best story based games of this generation (With fire emblem being even as old as 1988 or something. Strong foundation). Assassin's Creed's imaginary world ties up so well with our real world, it makes me think twice whether the game is real at times. Hell, even Dark Souls, a game that's no know for its story can be great if you know where to look for the story. The way you interact with the story is splendid because everytime you get an item. It explains how the item works and can give you a brief history of the item. And yes. Dark Souls has an amazingly deep story behind it.

From what I've heard, Dogma's pretty weak in the story section. Not denying that it has a story that seems interesting. But I've done a little research online and it looks like Dogma's story isn't what binds you to the game. It does a less than good job in that area AND all the travelling with the same enemies spawning over and over again in the same places (A problem I'm now facing with Amalur. And Dogma is supposed to be worse in that regard).

You're so fucking spoiled, Gad. When I was your age the only game we had was throwing a ball throug a little stone ring. And if we lost, they cut our heads off.
    Because of you

families can get their child the cancer treatment need without worrying about how to pay for it. Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food. They can provide free housing to families, so kids aren't stuck in a hospital room while receiving the best cancer care.

DONATE HERE
    https://shop.stjude.org/GiftCatalog/...4262&pID=24671
    -------------------------
    I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH ST. JUDE CHILDRENS RESEARCH HOSPITAL

How awesome am I?
    Awesome
    Super Awesome

I know man. It's just something I can't change.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gadfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, it's not just that. It's that I've heard the story isn't that great either. I'm really tempted to get it for the Boss battles and all. And the environment. But no story, no game. Still though, if Kingdoms continues to be a child's lala land game with too many colors and repetitiveness, I might get it in the future. Just not now when it costs more than 20 bucks.
    Dude, Dark Souls has almost no story whatsoever.

How awesome am I?
    Awesome
    Super Awesome

It has a really good story.

Well if you're expecting such high levels of perfection, yeah, you won't find a whole lot of games compelling. This game was a huge experiment and they were largely successful. But if you have to have the best story and if traveling is that off-putting, then yeah you don't sound like you'll enjoy it. If you're interested in using the different vocational skills (warriors, rangers that use longbows, sorcerers, Mystic Knights), planning out and experimenting with building your stats, using the pawn system and fighting enemies with different weaknesses and dynamics such as climbable enemies, setting them on fire or freezing certain body-parts and learning more about the mythology of the world then I'd say give it an earnest go. Personally, I don't don't expect perfection from the outset but an earnest try in creating a good game with a good and unique experience. With this being an experiment for the developers I'm hoping that they'll build off of this great start and create a sequel that will enhance what worked, do away with what didn't and add new material. I understand your hesitation. It takes a lot of time and effort to play games these days, especially one such as this. But I encourage you to do more research and watch more videos so you know exactly what you're in for.