PDA

View Full Version : Generally, Manga

Pacifista
04-26-2013, 07:08 PM
This will be a thread dedicated to manga that you don't think would garner enough attention for a full thread or has little to incite continued, updated interest (such as a manga that is already finished and doesn't have an anime or movies to keep it pumping out material). You can also use it for manga that you just think are neat and interesting but don't really want to create a separate thread for it.

I'll start with Ichi the Killer (http://www.mangahere.com/manga/ichi_the_killer/c001/). I first came into contact with this specific title when I went to a movie/game/bookstore. In the foreign DVD section of a DVD in a special case with fake blood in it. I thought it was interesting and went on with life. Years later, I remembered it and watched it online which led me to read the manga. Both the film and more so the book are not only extraordinarily violent but it deals with very adult themes as the main characters both relish in the pain that they inflict on others while one also enjoys pain inflicted on himself. I warn you, this is not for those who are squeamish or aren't up to reading about super sadomasochistic (which of course means torture and you'll get that extensively here) sexual story lines. Overall, I enjoyed the read (103 Chapters) and thought there were some truly interesting facets of the stories that set itself apart from others. There were some cons, however, but we'll get to that a bit later.

Anyway, here's a look at a character that you'll get to know very well in the manga.

Kakihara

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/8901/kakiharatoonaq9.jpg

White
04-26-2013, 09:14 PM
It sounds vaguely familiar, whatd you give it out of 10?

Pacifista
04-26-2013, 10:00 PM
A rating, huh? Hmm. Not quite sure right now. I may need to sit on it for a little while longer. On one hand, it brought an interesting twist to the characters that were presented. Some of the characters were nicely developed, the art is not half bad and you do want to see what's going to be the end of it all. However, on both the movie and the manga end, I feel the climax falls just a little bit short. At any rate, I'm feeling at least a 7/10.

White
04-26-2013, 10:31 PM
At least a 7? Hmm if I find the time Ill check it out.

Pacifista
04-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Yeah, but not much higher than that, I don't think. I'll have to see if the author did any other works. But yeah, definitely check a few chapters out if you have the time. Have you read any new manga lately?

White
04-26-2013, 11:18 PM
The latest one was Holyland if I recall, but Ive recently got into one called Lone Wolf and Cub. It can be really brazen at times but its steeped in Japanese history and culture. The story revolves around Ogami Itto and its basically about him trying to get revenge for his wife while working as an Assassin. The artwork is great in terms of how it depicts nature and japanese architecture. It totals 28 volumes and its an easy 9/10

MM
04-26-2013, 11:23 PM
I should check out Ichi the Killer..

Also anyone read Ibitsu?

Ibitsu was pretty creepy. It is about strange, creepy, lolita woman who starts stalking a guy and wants to be his little sister.

Pacifista
04-26-2013, 11:27 PM
The latest one was Holyland if I recall, but Ive recently got into one called Lone Wolf and Cub. It can be really brazen at times but its steeped in Japanese history and culture. The story revolves around Ogami Itto and its basically about him trying to get revenge for his wife while working as an Assassin. The artwork is great in terms of how it depicts nature and japanese architecture. It totals 28 volumes and its an easy 9/10

Now that does sound interesting. What are some other things about it that you like?

I should check out Ichi the Killer..

Also anyone read Ibitsu?

Ibitsu was pretty creepy. It is about strange, creepy, lolita woman who starts stalking a guy and wants to be his little sister.

Please do. And Ibitsu.....I haven't read it, but it definitely sounds familiar. Plus I've been needing a creepy manga to read again so thanks for bringing it up.

And what a strange situation to find yourself in.....

MM
04-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Please also read it, it is only 13 chapters and complete.

Pacifista
04-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Oh, well that's not bad at all. I'm going to try and squeeze some chapters in this week then.

Z
04-27-2013, 12:37 AM
Lone Wolf and Cub ain't for the faint of heart. It really, really, REALLY takes its time and was made in the 70s or something.

White
04-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Ive only read the first ten chapters of it but like Z said it takes its time. Its probably the most difficult Manga Ive read you need to pay close attention to what the characters actually say. Its a very realist Manga and its basically a recreation of the Edo Period of Japan. It uses a LOT of Japanese terms so entering the Manga with some knowledge of japanese culture helps. But I wouldnt recommend it as a light read.

On the plus side it is a very enriching Manga and opens your eyes up to an entirely different world of Japan. It is definitely worth it if you put the time in and it isnt all serious there are jokes and light hearted elements to it.

Z
04-27-2013, 02:00 AM
I've read the whole thing but it wasn't an easy journey for me.

White
04-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Is the ending good?

DoflaMihawk
04-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Plus I've been needing a creepy manga to read again so thanks for bringing it up.

You need a creepy manga? :amuse

Anyway I would recommend Basilisk to any fans of gore. It's one of the most violent seinen I've read and it's a simple 34 chapter story. Only took me one night to read the full thing.

Brohan
04-27-2013, 02:48 PM
If you want a creepy manga, try Wolf Guy

Pacifista
04-27-2013, 03:58 PM
You need a creepy manga? :amuse

Anyway I would recommend Basilisk to any fans of gore. It's one of the most violent seinen I've read and it's a simple 34 chapter story. Only took me one night to read the full thing.

Yeah. Honestly I haven't been as creeped out as I had been when reading Uzumaki. It had such a great atmosphere that built upon itself and was so disturbing at turns. I've heard of Basilisk too, so I'll have to try it.

Heard of this one too. What do you like about it?

MM
04-27-2013, 04:51 PM

Do you mean the version of Wolf Guy that was made by the creators of Akumetsu?

While the antagonist are kinda creepy but the manga's exploitation of rape is disgusting. There is a line between using rape as literary device and where it becomes exploitive. Wolf Guy goes into that territory in the second half.

Tendou
04-27-2013, 05:08 PM
At one point the rape seemed to serve a purpose of making the reader hate certain characters, but after a while you start to worry about why the mangakas so consistent with it. imo at least.

Suggests you guys read A Drunken Dream, it's a collection of great short stories that have pretty complex themes coupled with some vintage (pre-akira era) art work.

And Nausiacca simply because your life won't be complete without it.

Note: If you can get a physical copy, get it. The experiences, I find, will be all that much better as opposed to some shitty scan.

Kirk
04-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Pretty much all of Tezuka's works. Pro storyteller right there, try out Phoenix. But I dont know any scans.

Tendou
04-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Pretty much all of Tezuka's works. Pro storyteller right there, try out Phoenix. But I dont know any scans.

This, fucking this. Also suggest checking out Buddha.

Z
04-28-2013, 01:29 AM
Is the ending good?

Yes, yes it is.

Pacifista
04-28-2013, 04:40 AM
At one point the rape seemed to serve a purpose of making the reader hate certain characters, but after a while you start to worry about why the mangakas so consistent with it. imo at least.

Suggests you guys read A Drunken Dream, it's a collection of great short stories that have pretty complex themes coupled with some vintage (pre-akira era) art work.

And Nausiacca simply because your life won't be complete without it.

Note: If you can get a physical copy, get it. The experiences, I find, will be all that much better as opposed to some shitty scan.

I really do prefer to read manga with physical copies. And I still haven't read Nausicaa. I've seen the film but I know that I have to read the manga. That's just how it is. So much I need to catch up on...

Speaking of rape....this sounds like a good idea for a mature themes thread.

What are some things that you really like or that strike you about them?

MM
04-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Wow. I really need to catch up on new manga,

Also anyone read change 123? It is about Makoto, a girl in order to cope with her 3 adoptive fathers' incredibly intensive training methods, she developed multiple personalities. While it has shameless fanservice but I thought it was a decent read. Great action scenes, funny moments and the occasional awesome character.

Speaking of rape....this sounds like a good idea for a mature themes thread.

Indeed.

Brohan
04-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Yeah. Honestly I haven't been as creeped out as I had been when reading Uzumaki. It had such a great atmosphere that built upon itself and was so disturbing at turns. I've heard of Basilisk too, so I'll have to try it.

Heard of this one too. What do you like about it?

It has a cool cast of characters, disgusting antagonists, and some of the darkest atmosphere I've read in a seinen ever. It fits the creepy bill quite well, and has a really raw dog, salty, tough as nails fight towards the end.

@MM

I disagree entirely, while disgusting (when is rape NOT disgusting), Wolf Guy's mangaka uses it to weave together some of the most powerful conflicts I've seen ever.

It HAD to go into the detail that it did for you to feel what the characters were feeling.

Doc Q
04-28-2013, 06:56 PM
I read trough Ichi the Killer and it left a lot to be desired. It pretty much had two themes. For one, how bullying can drive one to insanity. And it was about the amalgamation of bloodlust/pain and sexual release.

Maybe I'm just highly desensitized but the supposed cringe moments did little for me. A lot of the manga was just plain homo-erotism with a bit of try-to-disturb-sauce on the side. There was a lack of interesting characters within the manga, and the author dropped the ball on all characters that seemed interesting at one point. (And no, characters that are insane or deal with mature concepts are not by virtue good characters)

Jiijii was set up all mysterious but ended up being just some sort of mix between Aizen from bleach and Hannibal from the A-team. A character who's plans work out because that's the way it is. Kakihara was cool because you could really see him changing in the story, but his end was completely unsatisfying.

This manga has no lessons to teach, and scores about a 7/10 on pure enjoyment value. I'd only recommend it to those who have to much time on their hands.

Tendou
04-28-2013, 08:30 PM
@Pacifista
Yeah physical copies are superior, the only mangas I use to read online were Shonens. Only because most of their art wasn't all that. Where as if I was reading Vagabond, reading it online would be a great injustice to it's visual prowess.

Velveteen Mandara is great. Tropical Citron and Freesia also. Basically anything by Jiro Matsumoto. Also be warned, chilling and explicit themes etc etc...

Pacifista
04-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Wow. I really need to catch up on new manga,

Also anyone read change 123? It is about Makoto, a girl in order to cope with her 3 adoptive fathers' incredibly intensive training methods, she developed multiple personalities. While it has shameless fanservice but I thought it was a decent read. Great action scenes, funny moments and the occasional awesome character.

Hmm. Multiple personalities is something that has potential. Sounds like a light read in comparison to some of the more serious stuff we've been talking about here.

It has a cool cast of characters, disgusting antagonists, and some of the darkest atmosphere I've read in a seinen ever. It fits the creepy bill quite well, and has a really raw dog, salty, tough as nails fight towards the end.
OK, I'm really liking the sound of this.

I read trough Ichi the Killer and it left a lot to be desired. It pretty much had two themes. For one, how bullying can drive one to insanity. And it was about the amalgamation of bloodlust/pain and sexual release.

Maybe I'm just highly desensitized but the supposed cringe moments did little for me. A lot of the manga was just plain homo-erotism with a bit of try-to-disturb-sauce on the side. There was a lack of interesting characters within the manga, and the author dropped the ball on all characters that seemed interesting at one point. (And no, characters that are insane or deal with mature concepts are not by virtue good characters)

The only only thing that caused me to cringe a bit was a certain something being sliced in half. However, I don't think it was homoerotic. Well, kind of but I don't think that was the point of it as it was whoever and whatever could bring pain to the forefront. That was all that Kakihara wanted and it didn't matter if a guy or woman gave it to him. He just thirsted so wildly for it that he became desperate for his mounting hopes. I do agree with the lack of interesting characters. The hitman with the child, the gorilla guy, Jiji's henchmen----these all seemed like pretty mal-used people. The brothers were interesting on the outset but I feel they too didn't follow through although they were pretty enjoyable overall.

Jiijii was set up all mysterious but ended up being just some sort of mix between Aizen from bleach and Hannibal from the A-team. A character who's plans work out because that's the way it is. Kakihara was cool because you could really see him changing in the story, but his end was completely unsatisfying.

100%. I was waiting for Jiji to show us some more but he just had everything so perfectly worked out and honestly, his motive didn't seem too clear to me. I loved Kakihara in the story but at the end it was indeed completely unsatisfying. Unfortunately the end is pretty unsatisfying in the movie too. It seems that the author may have problems finishing his manga since plenty of the end threads fell pretty flat.

This manga has no lessons to teach, and scores about a 7/10 on pure enjoyment value. I'd only recommend it to those who have to much time on their hands.
I think it was interesting in how a character started to understand himself more and how he actually liked causing horrible, brutal violence to others and the sadomaso bit wasn't something that you really read often. But I think we overall came to the same conclusion. It has several problems that keep it from going further and it really wouldn't have taken too much to make this manga much better.

@Pacifista
Yeah physical copies are superior, the only mangas I use to read online were Shonens. Only because most of their art wasn't all that. Where as if I was reading Vagabond, reading it online would be a great injustice to it's visual prowess.

Velveteen Mandara is great. Tropical Citron and Freesia also. Basically anything by Jiro Matsumoto. Also be warned, chilling and explicit themes etc etc...

I'm also liking the sound of this. How'd you get into Matsumoto's works?

MM
04-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Hmm. Multiple personalities is something that has potential. Sounds like a light read in comparison to some of the more serious stuff we've been talking about here.

Yeah it is good manga to read if you not looking for something too serious.

Personally I thought the manga would suck since it had elements of romance comedy or harem genre in the first chapter, but I thought the fighting was well written.

As well the main character is weak male character while the generic "nice guy" you see so often in anime/manga particular the harem genre.

I do not want to build it up too much since it has its flaws but I thought it was fun read. It is also complete.

@MM

I disagree entirely, while disgusting (when is rape NOT disgusting), Wolf Guy's mangaka uses it to weave together some of the most powerful conflicts I've seen ever.

It HAD to go into the detail that it did for you to feel what the characters were feeling.

I am not disputing that it is powerful material in hating the villain and wanting the protagonist prevail ASAP. I do think that they could have cut down on half of the rape scenes and still brought the same point across. It comes across more less of using rape as literary device but more like exploitation for shock value. It is the impression I got when reading it.

We can agree to disagree since it is more of a matter of interpretation.

Murphy
04-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Yeah, that was unbearable, there was just no point to continuously show the teacher being humiliated and raped like a dog. And it went on for, what, about 30+ chapters I think? For god's sake.

Tendou
04-28-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm also liking the sound of this. How'd you get into Matsumoto's works?

I picked up Velveteen Mandara at the library and I bought/borrowed what I could find of his after.

I suggest you start off with Velveteen Mandara seeing as themes are not so all "up in your face" so to speak. Plus I love the world building in it (even though it's not given any particular spotlight).

Live Fast Eat Ass
04-29-2013, 03:30 AM
How the fuck do you mention Lone Wolf and Cub in a thread for manga not good enough to warrant their own thread? It's up on the same level as Akira when it comes to iconic manga. And don't waste your time on Ibitsu, its a poor man's Zashiki Onna.

Kirk
04-29-2013, 05:12 PM
What are some things that you really like or that strike you about them?

He tells a story like no one. While the art is cartoonish, the story can get deep as fuck, make you think about life and such. For example, Phoenix is about reincarnation,and it goes from historical to future events. Tezuka loves life and you can feel it while reading his stories.

I've found a scan of Volume 2: http://www.partage-facile.com/HMAZOK6DTH/phoenix_v2_anethum_graveolens__random_scans_.zip.h tml
The order does not matter each volume contains a different story.

Pacifista
04-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Yeah it is good manga to read if you not looking for something too serious.

Personally I thought the manga would suck since it had elements of romance comedy or harem genre in the first chapter, but I thought the fighting was well written.

As well the main character is weak male character while the generic "nice guy" you see so often in anime/manga particular the harem genre.

I do not want to build it up too much since it has its flaws but I thought it was fun read. It is also complete.

Ah, ok. Don't have much experience in the harem genre. I just watched the original Tenchi Muyo on Toonami and liked that. I'll have to see if I can squeeze this one in.

I picked up Velveteen Mandara at the library and I bought/borrowed what I could find of his after.

I suggest you start off with Velveteen Mandara seeing as themes are not so all "up in your face" so to speak. Plus I love the world building in it (even though it's not given any particular spotlight).
Sounds really good. I'm going to have to put this in a Summer Manga list then.

How the fuck do you mention Lone Wolf and Cub in a thread for manga not good enough to warrant their own thread? It's up on the same level as Akira when it comes to iconic manga. And don't waste your time on Ibitsu, its a poor man's Zashiki Onna.
I'll put it on my list too.

He tells a story like no one. While the art is cartoonish, the story can get deep as fuck, make you think about life and such. For example, Phoenix is about reincarnation,and it goes from historical to future events. Tezuka loves life and you can feel it while reading his stories.

I've found a scan of Volume 2: http://www.partage-facile.com/HMAZOK6DTH/phoenix_v2_anethum_graveolens__random_scans_.zip.h tml
The order does not matter each volume contains a different story.

Interesting. I'll see what I can do about it. Transferring feelings across manga pages is an important part of what it means to be manga.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another manga I read some time ago was Bio-Meat (http://www.mangahere.com/manga/bio_meat_nectar/v01/c001/). Basically, it's a world in which all of the food comes from artificial creatures called Bio-Meat. They are extremely efficient because they are able to eat almost any item and then they rapidly divide. In this way, they were designed to get rid of a populations trash and provide endless food for all. With such a set up, I'm sure you can guess as to what happens next. A simple accident allows the creatures to escape and of course, chaos. Now it's been a while since I've read this but what I do remember is that it was a decent read. It can be fun with the carnage that's had and you'll grow to like some of the characters. I do have a few issues with it though.

Bold
02-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Double Arts (http://www.batoto.net/read/_/23593/double-arts_v1_ch1_by_aom). I thought this was a shonen with a solid premise and had a pretty interesting start. Unfortunately, it got cancelled because it didn't score well enough in the Shonen Jump ratings. Strangely enough, it's grown quite a following since it's cancellation. Even though it was cancelled, I took the time to read it some time ago and I found it a very pleasant read.

Live Fast Eat Ass
02-18-2014, 10:52 PM

Did you take my advice?