PDA

View Full Version : Spartacus

Newbologist
01-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Watch this show, got tons of violence gore sex and all that jazz

I Love Sticky Buns
01-23-2011, 08:35 PM
300 clone, no thanks. Rome was much better.

Pimp of Pimps
04-13-2012, 04:23 AM
Pretty good. It's basically 300 but with tits.

I'm on the 5th episode right now.

Pimp of Pimps
04-19-2012, 03:16 AM
Come on faggots, watch this.

Rim
04-19-2012, 03:18 AM
finished all three seasons; it has a very rich quality.

Pimp of Pimps
04-19-2012, 03:21 AM
Yeah, this show is amazing. Can't wait until January for the new season. Supposed to be 6 months in the future.

Nova
04-19-2012, 03:24 AM
already seen it man. it gets much better btw.

Pimp of Pimps
04-19-2012, 03:29 AM
I've seen all of it.

The only thing I didn't like is that Mira died. She was awesome.

Nova
04-19-2012, 03:32 AM
Oh, OP said 5th episode, didnt check date.

So yeah, she was a random kill, but i didnt care for her, just spartacus fuck buddy.

Pimp of Pimps
04-19-2012, 03:37 AM
She was a lot more than that. She was the strongest and most capable women out of all of them and has been a critical character since the end of the first season. Without her the gladiators would have never even been successful in their revolt.

Her death served no real purpose. My one problem with this show is that they kill people too easily.

Rim
04-19-2012, 03:40 AM
People die easily.

Nova
04-19-2012, 03:40 AM
I don't have a problem with it.

Pimp of Pimps
04-19-2012, 03:50 AM
People die easily.

Characters of lesser note I have no problem with dying. Like the guys that were with Spartacus, Mira, Naevia and Masir after escaping the mines or Sedulus I have no problem with dying. I don't mind people like Seppia dying either. But people like Mira are much more important to the plot. I could understand someone like Varro because even though he was a major character his death was necessary to move the plot forward. I see no reason for Mira to die, she was a central character and her death served no real purpose. History even tells us there was a strong and capable woman by Spartacus' side through out the Third Seville War and I figured Mira would make the most sense.

But I guess they are pusing the whole "great but unfortunate things" angle.

Underfed Somali
04-19-2012, 10:00 PM
I dl-ed this, but haven't watched past the first episode. Will trty to watch more of it.

Pimp of Pimps
04-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Gets much better after the 3rd episode or so.

The fact that it's relatively historically accurate makes it that much better.

Pimp of Pimps
01-03-2013, 04:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptX_pjz5s2k

Tendou
01-03-2013, 07:09 PM
This show is hella gay. Really.

I watched like a season.

Pimp of Pimps
01-03-2013, 08:05 PM
No taste. :smh

Millennium Creed
01-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Hmm. I wanna try this out. The plot interests me.

I'll start this if you start Breaking Bad, Pops. Deal? :LOS

Pimp of Pimps
04-17-2013, 08:50 PM
So this show ended last Friday and man was the series finale awesome.

Tendou
04-18-2013, 06:58 AM
I heard the series finale was really good, I'll probably catch up with the whole series now. One thing I must say though, they got a bit carried away to say the least with the homoerotic side of Roman culture.

convict
04-18-2013, 07:27 AM
Because of what really happened in history there was a sense of foreboding when I watched this season. Throughout all the victories and defeats of the rebels, as a viewer I felt there was this innate feeling of impending doom and tragedy. Yet, this finale did a great job of unraveling a bit of hope in this inevitable defeat. Spartacus's death was skillfully done. First there was this original scare that Crassus would defeat Spartacus during one scene during a backswing and then we thought Spartacus would die on his knees in front of Crassus. Ultimately he died in the arms of his comrades. This whole rebellion did in fact end up with many freed slaves who would make it through, and more importantly, the mighty Roman Empire was shown to be pervious to assault. Even the victors did not really feel the victory. I like how Crassus and Caesar got the short end of the stick.

My very favorite part was how much respect Crassus gave Spartacus. Instead of killing him or mocking him, as a Roman is wont to do to a slave, we saw was deep regret in his eyes as he imagined the prospects if his worthy foe were his partner. The creators are thinking about creating as spin-off involving Caesar, Crassus, and the first Roman triumvirate. I am very curious to see how that will go if it does happen.

Pimp of Pimps
04-19-2013, 12:42 PM
I heard the series finale was really good, I'll probably catch up with the whole series now. One thing I must say though, they got a bit carried away to say the least with the homoerotic side of Roman culture.

Tel me about it.

Because of what really happened in history there was a sense of foreboding when I watched this season. Throughout all the victories and defeats of the rebels, as a viewer I felt there was this innate feeling of impending doom and tragedy. Yet, this finale did a great job of unraveling a bit of hope in this inevitable defeat. Spartacus's death was skillfully done. First there was this original scare that Crassus would defeat Spartacus during one scene during a backswing and then we thought Spartacus would die on his knees in front of Crassus. Ultimately he died in the arms of his comrades. This whole rebellion did in fact end up with many freed slaves who would make it through, and more importantly, the mighty Roman Empire was shown to be pervious to assault. Even the victors did not really feel the victory. I like how Crassus and Caesar got the short end of the stick.

My very favorite part was how much respect Crassus gave Spartacus. Instead of killing him or mocking him, as a Roman is wont to do to a slave, we saw was deep regret in his eyes as he imagined the prospects if his worthy foe were his partner. The creators are thinking about creating as spin-off involving Caesar, Crassus, and the first Roman triumvirate. I am very curious to see how that will go if it does happen.

Yeah, this was very well done. This kind of thing is very hard to pull off.

Man, I'm still cursing Crixus. He ruined it all.

Tendou
04-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Does Crixus become a bad guy or something?

convict
04-20-2013, 12:40 AM
More like an impatient jackass. Naevia is largely to blame for that.

Brohan
04-21-2013, 01:31 PM
I'd watch the entire series again. It was that good.

Tendou
04-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Very late but I've just found out that Andy died, R.I.P man...

Pimp of Pimps
05-07-2013, 12:00 AM
I really enjoyed his acting in the first season.

Tendou
05-07-2013, 12:04 AM
oh god i cant get over the "really gorey" scenes. the effects on them are too plastic-fake ugh.

Pimp of Pimps
05-28-2013, 12:53 PM
I heard there might be a mini-series later on. Can anyone confirm this?

Halaros 536
05-28-2013, 01:05 PM
PoP, knowing me, do you think that I should start this or will I get bored soon?

Nordlending
06-02-2015, 11:43 PM
Started watching this. Finished episode 1.

Currently I can say that the CGI is a bit over the top, the story a bit over the top, and I didn't catch a single name. A lot of nudity thought.

Nordlending
06-03-2015, 02:57 PM
The characters are fun.

Crispickle
06-10-2015, 07:50 AM
There's a thread of this? :wha

Good series, great fun. The best season is probably the Gannicus prequel.

ReXDrake
06-10-2015, 07:58 AM
love this show. Have been tempted to make a tier list for it in the meta battledome

Crispickle
06-10-2015, 09:09 AM
love this show. Have been tempted to make a tier list for it in the meta battledome

If you're up to do it, I'll gladly help with what I remember. But I'm afraid is too late, there's no more hype or anything for this show anymore.

ReXDrake
06-10-2015, 12:07 PM
might abctually be too difficult now that I think about it. Categorizing the top and high tiers shouldn't be hard, but theres just too much uncertainty on the strength of the lower characters to construct the remaining tiers accurately

If you want, I could start grouping the top and high tiers and see how far we get with everyone else