PDA

View Full Version : How much do editors influence mangakas work?

Big Boss
09-28-2012, 02:41 AM
Not as much as in Bakuman but partly it must have been correct on editors and their influence on mangakas work.

Marinford arc is a clear example of their influence. That was definitely editors work rather than Oda's. It felt like the whole saga was supposed to boost the sales of their merchandise and volumes. Characters were hyped/wanked to no end for that purpose.

You would think timeskip Oda is too much of a big-shot in Shonen Jump Weekly to be influenced by them, he has done some crazy shit for Shonen's and OP standarts (kids on meth, neo-nazi fishmen, biological weapons etc), but you can still feel their presence in Fishman Island and Punk Hazard. Maybe Oda did some mistakes on his own but I personally feel like his editors are forcing him to drag his arcs a bit longer considering how well they are selling. After all, profit is always going to be the main concern for any company and the better it sales, the greedier they will get.

stilzkin
09-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Not as much as in Bakuman but partly it must have been correct on editors and their influence on mangakas work.

Marinford arc is a clear example of their influence. That was definitely editors work rather than Oda's. It felt like the whole saga was supposed to boost the sales of their merchandise and volumes

No.

Oda had that arc planned since Drum Island so its hard to believe that it had much editor influence. I doubt so much merchandise was sold from that arc when basically no character got to shine. If I editor trying to get my artist to sell stuff I would have told him to get characters like WB and the admirals into real fights or show case their techniques more. This is the opposite of what we got, many characters got shown because it was a war (makes more sense than individual battle war like in other shounen) and it was the half way point of the manga.

Anyway artists like Oda must get minimal advice from editors, they are selling well and are popular in SJ. Its the less successful and the once popular and now struggling series like Bleach that must get the most attention from editors.

V
09-28-2012, 05:25 AM
How many editors does Oda have?

Rim
09-28-2012, 05:37 AM
Depends on the manga.