PDA

View Full Version : Character Development

Pacifista
08-07-2012, 04:19 AM
What are some instances of character development in stories that you have liked? Did they actually change anything in the scope of the story and thus become a worth and necessary event to have taken place in the story? And if not, what about the character did you find as a failure? That is, did this character not display the development that you would have expected after a certain event?

Talk about this here.

MM
08-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Guts from Berserk is a character that is pretty well developed. Barring the last arc, we see his character develop from arc to arc. Either in large significant ways such as Guts realizing he hit rock bottom after the events of of The Lost Children arc then hearing Godo's speech how he abandoned the most important person to him is an example of that. Or in more subtle ways like in the last arc where Guts was wiling enough to talk about Casca to Roderick.

As much as I think Oku is a mediocre writer, I have to admit he did do a good job with Kurono in Gantz until the second phase. We see Kurono in the start of the manga as a pretty selfish and perverted teen. However in the face of extreme adversity such as life and death situations, being responsible for lives that Kurono grows up as a person.

As for character development, I did not like. I am going to need more time to think about it. However one thing comes to mind is Isley from Claymore. We see his power-hungry nature by his actions before the timeskip by taking over the southern lands, ruthlessness by using his soldiers as pawns. However we did also see him take in Raki as well trained him. In addition that Isley was also taking care of Priscilla sort of made him a father figure for the two.

So what happened to Isley after being established as a major player in the Claymore world and having a close connection to two major characters? We see him being eaten by nameless minions of the Organization with a short monologue about how Priscilla and Raki were like family to him. That was a big waste of a character.

Berserker
08-07-2012, 08:28 PM
REAL is basically all about character development of the 3 main protagonists and their surroundings.

Pacifista
08-09-2012, 05:11 AM
What's your favorite part about how the development happens along the story?

Great Potato
08-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Prince Zuko from avatar was handled pretty well. They spent three seasons gradually building up to him becoming good, you could see he was conflicted through a lot of it, and he was never really evil to begin with. It's not often I see a heel faced turn that's done justice.

Berserker
08-09-2012, 10:15 AM
how?

well each one of them basically tries to overcome their psychological barriers but they dont win everytime. if they lose its also not just "oh well lets try again" they try and understand why and how to get out of it.

Z
08-09-2012, 11:40 PM
The Strawhats have all had excellent development. It is done in a very subtle way in that you won't pick it up right off the bat, but when push comes to shove you can really tell that they have grown, yet still stayed loyal to their personalities.

Pacifista
08-10-2012, 05:20 AM
Prince Zuko from avatar was handled pretty well. They spent three seasons gradually building up to him becoming good, you could see he was conflicted through a lot of it, and he was never really evil to begin with. It's not often I see a heel faced turn that's done justice.

Zuko was done pretty well, huh? His change was gradual and you could definitely see the torment that he went through. The Zuko at the start of the series is a much, much different person than the one that ends it in all respects. Where he was once short tempered and angry he became contemplative and understanding. You could also see the difference in the way he fought too. Where once it was aggressive in the beginning to even desperate towards the end when he was conflicted to pleasing his father and his true self he became more controlled, fluid and even caring.

how?

well each one of them basically tries to overcome their psychological barriers but they dont win everytime. if they lose its also not just "oh well lets try again" they try and understand why and how to get out of it.

Learning from mistakes is definitely something that could be used more. It's always good to try again but sometimes the character just does the same thing only with more force to achieve victory. One must contemplate over mistakes in order to find out why they lost in the first place and decide what they can do to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

The Strawhats have all had excellent development. It is done in a very subtle way in that you won't pick it up right off the bat, but when push comes to shove you can really tell that they have grown, yet still stayed loyal to their personalities.

For the most part I do agree. I'm excited to learn to what extent their training really helped them as characters.

Rim
08-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Zuko's transition felt cliche and abrupt. He had an epiphany and all of a sudden he was this ultranice good guy.

Pacifista
08-10-2012, 05:36 PM
I don't think it was so abrupt and he did struggle on what he really wanted. That's where we get him actually being nice to Katara in that cave and then turning back to trying to please his father when Azula used cajolery.

Rim
08-10-2012, 06:00 PM
YEah, then he went from corrupt, and desperate, to flawless protagonist. At least, I'd have felt more comfortable with the transition if he hadn't started out by joining aang and becoming besties with him.

Pacifista
08-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Started out by following Aang and becoming besties? What do you mean?

Rim
08-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Yeah, what's there to say? He confronted his father, tracked aang and co to the western air temple, and asked to join.

Pacifista
08-10-2012, 06:25 PM
But it's not like he was evil one day and then nice the next. There was a definite struggle to get to going to Aang in earnest as I mentioned. It didn't happen overnight.

Rim
08-10-2012, 06:50 PM
But it's not like he was evil one day and then nice the next. There was a definite struggle to get to going to Aang in earnest as I mentioned. It didn't happen overnight.

I'm pretty sure he had an epiphany and reversed his ways. One day he wanted his father's approval, and the next without any regrets, he wanted to put a stop to the war; it'd have been nice if he had been a bit reluctant in outright betraying the family he had sought approval from before that point. I guess it all comes down to what happened inbetween betraying his father, and joining the avatar. I think there should have been an interlude between the two, where he seriously considered what he'd do about his father.

Pacifista
08-10-2012, 08:05 PM
I suppose more time could have been spent but when he was trapped with Katara he was starting to show a change. However, he then made that 180 turn and helped Azula attack Aang. After the attack, he was granted all of the accolades and etc that he wanted but realized that this wasn't what he wanted at all. That in itself took some time as he enjoyed everything that he thought that he wanted. It wasn't so much an immediate epiphany as much as it was him getting his cake and realizing that it wasn't the kind he'd wanted at all after munching on it for a bit.

MM
08-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Maybe I might get flake for this but I did like Wendy's character development in Fairy Tail. That gradually after many experiences that Wendy grew out o af timid little girl who said she is no good at fighting to currently being able to stand tall in the face of immense adversity.

I would not say he is the best character development in manga but her recent fight made you feel that her charater has gone a long way. Which is good thing.

Much better than Natsu who barely changed throughout the manga.

Also Pacifista, I am curious what is your opinion on Isley from Claymore? Do you think that his character development was cut short pretty badly?

Pacifista
08-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Oh yeah. Isley was just about thrown away in the end. He had a lot of good build up and it was interesting to see him hiding in that city but for that to basically be his swan song? It was pretty underwhelming. It seemed as if Yagi had several different ideas and avenues that he wanted to go down but just didn't have time in the end. With Priscilla, the Organization, The Destroyer and Riful all doing separate things at the same time (not to mention the protagonists) I guess he had to let something go and it turned out to be Isley since he was just a cover for Priscilla, apparently. In the end he was underdeveloped and left the story with much to be desired.

Marimo
08-10-2012, 11:37 PM
What are some instances of character development in stories that you have liked? Did they actually change anything in the scope of the story and thus become a worth and necessary event to have taken place in the story? And if not, what about the character did you find as a failure? That is, did this character not display the development that you would have expected after a certain event?

Talk about this here.

Black*Star's progression after his fights with Mifune and clearing his mind and setting his true goal to become a master in the way of the sword. He's matured in so many ways since the Baba Yaga invasion arc that you would think that he was a completely different person and it was done in gradual and timely steps. One of Ohkubo's better works. And then there's Death The Kidd who in the latest chapter was willing to let go of his obsession with Symmetry with faith in leading the world into another direction as the God of Death.

In One Piece....come on :maybe Just look at Mansopp :datass Everything about Usopp's development has been pure gold. There's no need to go into detail about his progression, should be common knowledge around here

Bold
06-01-2014, 01:44 AM
Kobayakawa Sena's growth in Eyeshield 21. From a total wimp who had to be protected by his friends, to the clutch player his team and even rivals could rely on and trust. It's almost subtle because of how gradual the growth is, but you can easily tell he came a long way from where he started. The guy turned the lie into reality after all. :swag

- - - Updated - - -

In One Piece....come on :maybe Just look at Mansopp :datass Everything about Usopp's development has been pure gold. There's no need to go into detail about his progression, should be common knowledge around here

:lmao

What do you think of him now? :mihawk

Riki
06-01-2014, 01:46 AM
wow spoiler I guess I have to stop reading Eyeshield

Marimo
06-01-2014, 01:49 AM
Oh God I had such blind faith in 2012 :mihawk

Bold
06-01-2014, 01:50 AM
wow spoiler I guess I have to stop reading Eyeshield

:maybe

It was pretty obvious. :kanyeshrug

- - - Updated - - -

How far into it are you anyways?

White
06-01-2014, 01:51 AM
Most characters develop along the same pathways, which is disappointing.

Riki
06-01-2014, 01:58 AM
How far into it are you anyways?

chapter 9

X
06-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Kobayakawa Sena's growth in Eyeshield 21. From a total wimp who had to be protected by his friends, to the clutch player his team and even rivals could rely on and trust. It's almost subtle because of how gradual the growth is, but you can easily tell he came a long way from where he started. The guy turned the lie into reality after all. :swag

Hiruma also has a pretty good development throughout the series as well.

pizzadust
06-14-2014, 01:43 AM
I like Guts' character development since it's so realistic and natural. Also, unlike some characters that get decent character development and become static afterwards, Guts' character development never stops.

Pacifista
06-15-2014, 05:15 AM
What do you think of him now? :mihawk
Oh, that's cruel.

I like Guts' character development since it's so realistic and natural. Also, unlike some characters that get decent character development and become static afterwards, Guts' character development never stops.

I agree with you and MM completely. Guts' development has been wonderfully and naturally done. I really like how he has changed from being so angry after losing everything, including trust from his closest friend and learning to love and trust again.