PDA

View Full Version : The Bishie Archetype

Millennium Creed
07-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Yeah, we all know that character. The pretty boy who is the center of a lot of female fan appeal.

My questions are; who are your most hated bishies? And do you hate ALL bishies? Do you think they can be executed well?

Doc Q
07-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Plain designs and plain characters is a curse surrounding bishies, but I can't hate on all characters who are drawn to be handsome.

Live Fast Eat Ass
07-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Sesshomaru was pretty boss from what I remember. Come to think of it, I think every inuyasha character was a ladyboy.

Pacifista
07-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Any character can be written well but when they're written specifically to just "be attractive" without any other character traits or depth that's when you get crap.

Great Potato
07-12-2012, 03:48 AM
It's the worst when there are dozens of shallow females fawning over the guy.

Pacifista
07-12-2012, 03:57 AM
Females in general have a tough time in manga.

Great Potato
07-12-2012, 04:20 AM
Yeah, but there are tolerable ones and even good ones. When they flock around to fawn over the guy who's too cool to notice their presence, just so the author can enforce how supposedly cool his character, than it's just annoying.

Pacifista
07-12-2012, 04:29 AM
"Look it's *insert cool character here*! Squeeeeeee!"

Yeah, I hate that.

Millennium Creed
07-12-2012, 04:32 AM
One reason I like One Piece so much is because of the lack of bishies.

In comparison to Bleach, who don't even have good bishies. His bishie transformation after they leave Soul Society was horrible and made him look underwhelming as a villain.

Millennium Creed
07-12-2012, 04:47 AM
Yeah, Light is too.

MM
07-12-2012, 07:25 PM
I see no issue with it. If a character is very handsome or has feminine features does not have too much of an impact on me.

I mean look at Griffith in Berserk. He was introduced as the text definition of a bishonen. All women(including some men) were taken in by his beauty, Griffith was portrayed as insanely talented in both war and swordplay etc. However do you think he was a boring character? Would have Berserk been a better manga or Griffith be a better character if he was more average looking or even ugly?

At the very worst bishonen characters can be flat if the author does not develop them beyond their looks and "coolness" factor. However that goes for every character trait in manga.

Pimp of Pimps
07-13-2012, 10:23 PM
I usually dislike it. There aren't many well done bishies imo.

Z
07-13-2012, 11:21 PM
I see no issue with it. If a character is very handsome or has feminine features does not have too much of an impact on me.

I mean look at Griffith in Berserk. He was introduced as the text definition of a bishonen. All women(including some men) were taken in by his beauty, Griffith was portrayed as insanely talented in both war and swordplay etc. However do you think he was a boring character? Would have Berserk been a better manga or Griffith be a better character if he was more average looking or even ugly?

At the very worst bishonen characters can be flat if the author does not develop them beyond their looks and "coolness" factor. However that goes for every character trait in manga.

Griffith certainly isn't as bad as the usual bishies or even a bad character. But I find him pretty overrated as a villain.

Marimo
07-14-2012, 12:11 AM
I don't think I've read any manga with a 'Bishei' type protagonist :wha