PDA

View Full Version : Gary Stu and Mary Sue

Gaidou
07-08-2012, 06:12 PM
the characterizations of the all knowing, can't do wrong, exceedingly popular, and the most lethal. There have been MANY of these characters in animated works that have always tortured my childhood and effectively ruined characters for me.

For examples Batman from TAS, compared the The Batman of JLU. You go from a realistic hero who has always defeated his opponents by means of sheer wit, tactics, and power. Now on the other hand, we have the batman who could do no wrong in JLU, he always saved the day, he always had ploterangs to defeat his enemies, and he hammed up all of the spotlight. That was terrible, and as a pre-teen at the time i was so bored with JLU simply because of that.

any other Gary/Mary stus you guys can think of? If my definition doesn't help just urban dictionary it.

Z
07-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Contrary to popular belief, Batman got his ass handed to him a surprisingly good amount of times in JL/JLU.

Gaidou
07-08-2012, 06:23 PM
The only time remember this is when he was bitten by the Snakeguy AFTER taking on an entire team of baddies, but jLU was pretty flawed anyway, iirc Joker actually tagged flash in that same episode.

Z
07-08-2012, 06:29 PM
-Was getting man handled by aliens in the first episode till Superman showed up.
-Got beat up by an alien dog.
-Got knocked out by Aresia.
-Lost to a bunch of Superman villains in the episode where Superman was presumed dead.
-Got knocked out by Joker in the Injustice League episode.
-Previously was fatally bitten by Copperhead.
-Got punched by Harley Quinn.
-Was one-shotted by Morgaine le Faye.
-Got thrown out the building by Lex Luthor.

The only time remember this is when he was bitten by the Snakeguy AFTER taking on an entire team of baddies, but jLU was pretty flawed anyway, iirc Joker actually tagged flash in that same episode.

That was because Flash was running right at him and he threw marbles. Nothing flawed about that.

Z
07-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Oh yeah and he was getting mind raped by Ace while simultaneously beaten up by Joker. And was losing against the Royal Flush Gang girl with hair powers.

MM
07-08-2012, 06:53 PM
To be honest, the terms "Gary Stu and Mary Su" have been a bit overused from what I can tell.

However if I had to describe a character who fits the closest to a Gary Stu. I would say Namikaze Minato from Naruto. He is the main character's father. He is noted to be handsome, most talented shinobi, praised by allies/enemies alike, gives sage advice to people and even his blunders work out in the end. For example the Kyuubi incident where his wife was killed and his son was condemned to a difficult childhood. However if you consider that his son is the savior of the world which Minato believed at the time, Minato's arguably only blunder works out in the end.

Bold
06-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Akira Hayama's the biggest Gary Stu I've seen in recent memory.

Void
06-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Medaka's my fave, followed by onii-sama. Can't say I like others much though.
:hmm

Featherine
06-22-2016, 03:15 PM
Medaka's my fave, followed by onii-sama. Can't say I like others much though.
:hmm

So medaka's a good Mary Sue is what you're saying right :maybe

JustSomeDude
06-22-2016, 03:21 PM
No one's gonna mention him?

https://hermitcrabshack.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/kirito-sword-art-online-31698943-1280-720.png?w=584

Nordlending
06-22-2016, 03:34 PM
I don't see it very much in shows since they get taken out for not selling. Fan Works or original works on the other hand has a lot of it. It either makes the story boring or the mc insufferable,

Its not all bad. You can create a great story by playing around with the trope.

- - - Updated - - -

No one's gonna mention him?

https://hermitcrabshack.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/kirito-sword-art-online-31698943-1280-720.png?w=584

He is not on that level.

X
06-22-2016, 03:39 PM

I think that's a weird thing to say.

Mel from Seven Deadly Sins is a pretty big Gary Stu. Even in death he can't do anything wrong.

Void
06-22-2016, 05:44 PM
So medaka's a good Mary Sue is what you're saying right :maybeit's not that I like her because of her Mary Sue-ness, I like her because she's entertaining ​and has aassets

Featherine
06-22-2016, 05:45 PM
it's not that I like her because of her Mary Sue-ness, I like her because she's entertaining ​and has aassets

She is designed to be a Mary-sue after all and as such you can make some great comedy out of her :maybe