PDA

View Full Version : Should Turkey join the European Union?

Vegeta
05-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Hey guys in my first thread I am dealing with the question whether Turkey should join the EU or not.

Before I start I will tell you some background information about Turkey and the EU and how the relationship between the two of them developed.

Turkey's application to accede to the European Union was made on 14 April 1987. Turkey has been an associate member of the European Union (EU) and its predecessors since 1963. After the ten founding members, Turkey was one of the first countries to become a member of the Council of Europe in 1949, and was also a founding member of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) in 1961 and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) in 1973. The country has also been an associate member of the Western European Union since 1992, and is a part of the "Western Europe" branch of the Western European and Others Group (WEOG) at the United Nations. Turkey signed a Customs Union agreement with the EU in 1995 and was officially recognised as a candidate for full membership on 12 December 1999, at the Helsinki summit of the European Council. Negotiations were started on 3 October 2005, and the process, should it be in Turkey's favour, is likely to take at least a decade to complete.The membership bid has become a major controversy of the ongoing enlargement of the European Union.

So what are the pros and cons of Turkey joining the EU?

One of the pros are, that Turkey's geographic position at the crossroads between Europe and the East, and its history since Ataturk as a modern secular state, allows it to provide a much needed bridge between the western and Islamic worlds.
More tangibly, it is also the country across which key pipelines bring oil and gas from Asia.
http://home.vrweb.de/~fernweh/images/Karten/karte_turkey.gif

With its strong military tradition and large armed forces, Turkey would be a military asset for Europe. It has already been a Nato member since 1952 and currently has 1,500 troops fighting in Afghanistan. This loyalty and commitment to the western cause should be acknowledged.

Furthermore if we take a look at Turkeys economy we see that The Turkish economy is growing rapidly. European countries need to access it as easily as possible.It is not for nothing callled "the China of europe". Yet if the EU chooses to exclude its own China, it will be turning away the fastest-growing economy in its neighbourhood. It will also lose any hope of influencing the region to its east. At a time when many Europeans fret about being ignored in the world, this would be an historic mistake.

The Turkish population is young and increasingly well-educated. The aging EU cannot afford to block this demographic from its workforce.

Large numbers of Turks, including those who went to Germany as guest workers, are already familiar with Europe and its customs.

Turkey has already responded to the EU's demands for change. It has abolished the death penalty, introduced tougher measures against torture and introduced reforms to help women and Kurds.

Now I am telling you the cons.

In many countries, notably Austria, France and Germany, very few people want to allow Turkey to join the EU. Their views should be taken into account.

Culturally, Turkey is not European. It is an Islamic nation which does not fit into the EU 'Christian club'.

Granting Turkey EU membership would mean allowing a wave of Turkish immigrants into Europe.

Turkey, part of the G20, is a very big country. It would soon exercise too much power in the EU.

EU countries have to achieve a certain standard of democracy and human rights. Turkey, which treats both its Kurdish minority and its women appallingly, doesn’t reach this standard.

So these are basically my thoughts on this topic,I know that their are also other cons,but these are the most used points in this debate so I wrote them down.
I am in favour that Turkey should join,but since I am a turk,I really cant be objective,so what are your thoughts ? Should Turkey join the EU ?

Underfed Somali
05-12-2012, 06:00 PM
I have worked with Turks and think in general they are a wonderful asset.

But I also have seen Turks that have strong religious backgrounds and they took it too seriously.

So I think that in every country joining you'll get about 50% of people you'd like to join and 50% you don't like to join. Same as in any country.

SO all in all, I think YES. We can use a country like Turkey to stabilize the economic region. Also they are a great trading route towards the arabian world.

Vegeta
05-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Thx. for your opinion bro,so are you from europe?

Underfed Somali
05-12-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm dutch myself.

And about the Christian Club. I agree partly that it's true that some core value principles are different in cultural backgrounds between Islam and Christian faiths.

But I don't think that it's as bad as people say, just clustered parts of Turkey where capitalism hasn't reached certain age and sex classes of the Turkish population.

I don't know how you view the current relation between Men and Women as being economically independent from eachother?

I mean to say is there still a lot of cultural difference between men and women climbing the social ladder?

I've been to many parts of Europe and in certain parts I see that sometimes Women have a 2nd hand role in society usually waiting till the men are done with eating and then they eat. Etc.

Things like that undermine the equality between the sexes.

And if there is something I fear that has made problems (also for us Christians for sure) is that women are treated badly or at least not equally. Now in the last 50 years that has changed a lot in the Western society, but not so much outside that.

Now if you say that women and men are enjoying the same educations and the same incomes then I gladly accept my Turkish brothers and sisters into Europe.

I just think that the economic boost it will give will only increase exponentially, because I knwo there are already many Dutch merchants doing good business in Turkey.

Pell
05-12-2012, 07:17 PM
I personally think that they should join. europe let's country that doesn't bring anything on the table so I don't know why they don't let turkey in when they have so much to bring to the union.

Pimp of Pimps
05-15-2012, 03:13 AM
I see no harm in them joining.