PDA

View Full Version : College Experiences

Z
03-10-2012, 02:44 AM
Those of you who go to college, tell us your experiences.

Some basic guidelines to think about

-What is your major?
-Do you go to a private university or public college?
-What classes did you find difficult?
-What classes did you find enjoyable?

Minty
03-10-2012, 02:48 AM
-Environmental Engineering
-Public
-Calc II and Eng. Stats are hard.
-I liked Calc I when I took it and Afro-American History.

V
03-10-2012, 02:54 AM
Mech Engineering
Public
Any Economics course, that shit is retarded
Physics II and Calc II+ Linear algebra

College girls are amazing man

Myst
03-10-2012, 02:58 AM
Finance and Accounting double major
Public
probably statistics
1st year general Business course (had an amazing prof)

Z
03-10-2012, 02:59 AM
Lol guys I didn't mean follow the format strictly.

V
03-10-2012, 03:01 AM
Look at what university has done to me man, following orders to the dot

Edit:

First 3 hours of First year included

- Walking by the most attractive women I have seen in my life, I rarely stare at women longer than 5 seconds unless they are revealing skin but she was simply gorgeous wearing a small shirt and leggings.

- I met a few people I went to high school with

- I got high as shit at a party and ended sleeping with a girl I still do not remember her name

Good fucking times, I wish I could go back man those were the days.

Z
03-10-2012, 03:05 AM
Well I am doing Civil Engineering for now, although I am not like really interested in it. Hell, I might drop engineering altogether and go into medicine, although that does take a while so I am unsure right now. I did enjoy Calculus I and it was pretty easy (for me at least). Calculus II is obviously harder but I think it is manageable up to this point. Computer Science I find really annoying and confusing, and it doesn't help that the lecturer can't lecture for shit.

Rim
03-10-2012, 03:10 AM

-What is your major?

-first year (B.Sc)
-public
-None sofar, but I hate chem. lab. I'm just not confident enough.
-Calculus

The Gaddess
03-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Computer science, though I actually prefer Mechanical...

A Private College, not uni. Private college...

All those classes are pretty though for me... ALL THEM MOTHERFUCKING CLASSES

None, from a study point of view...

I Love Sticky Buns
03-10-2012, 09:06 PM
I play disk golf on a Mormon campus. My friend tried to hit on a fourteen year old. :O

The Visionary
03-24-2012, 02:11 AM
-Political Science
-Public
-I absolutely HATE science/math and it sucks that I had to take some as gen eds
-All of my poly sci classes have been enjoyable so far, especially those concerning international relations and foreign policy

Best experience: Meeting new people, by far. I love seeing new faces and going to a university with 40,000+ people from around the country and world has given me the chance to meet a diverse group of people.

Midas
04-05-2012, 11:25 PM
History with an Art history Minor.
Public, private would be way way way too expensive.
I try not to take difficult classes, the hardest I've taken thus far is Art History I.
Modern World History (from 1400 until now everywhere).

MysteriousMaskedMan
04-05-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm at Mcgill University doing an artsci degree
Majoring in Bio and minoring in poli sci and something else I don't know yet
My course kinda suck but, well

college life is great

College girls are amazing man

Yeah

Baby Giraffe
04-06-2012, 01:03 AM
College was fun. I became an alcoholic for a few months.

Millennium Creed
11-13-2014, 04:02 AM
Bumpppp. Any other experiences? I am considering computer science. Like the college experience so far as far as grading goes. No hard classes though I do enjoy my Communication and Computers course most.

Combou
11-13-2014, 07:41 AM
I had taken political science and was in public college, Those were the days. More of fun and less of study :p

Sleepah
11-13-2014, 07:52 AM
I was studying Computer Engineering in a private university in Syria for a couple of years before things got out of control there. I was forced to take a year off and now I'm attending a "public" university in Canada. Health Informatics major. Classes are much more refined here, and you actually get a lot of freedom in your choices.

:kanyeshrugnothing too exciting though

Riki
11-13-2014, 07:53 AM
i don't have a sleep schedule anymore

Sleepah
11-13-2014, 07:59 AM
That's the norm riki :(
I'm glad my university offer a few night classes, I try to stay away from early ones as much as possible, because my sleep schedule is just too unpredictable

X
11-13-2014, 10:35 PM
Bitches left and right.

Void
11-13-2014, 11:28 PM
First year::fyeah
Second year::fyeah
Third Year::argh
Fourth year: :cry :cry :cry :cry

Nightfall
11-13-2014, 11:29 PM
:distracted

Going to college next year.

:cry

I wished time can go back to when I'm in middle school.

X
11-13-2014, 11:33 PM
First year::fyeah
Second year::fyeah
Third Year::argh
Fourth year: :cry :cry :cry :cry

What are you taking?

Void
11-13-2014, 11:36 PM
:distracted

Going to college next year.

:cry

I wished time can go back to when I'm in middle school.Take me too!!! Those were the happiest years of my life!!! :cry :cry :cry :cry

What are you taking?Geography as my major. The first two years I had general education courses (lecture and multiple choice tests) but as the courses advanced, I have to write papers and do projects with GIS software. I can BS the papers but there are too many of them now and I'm not a computer guy. Plus, I'm scared of graduating but not being able to find a job.

X
11-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Geography as my major. The first two years I had general education courses (lecture and multiple choice tests) but as the courses advanced, I have to write papers and do projects with GIS software. I can BS the papers but there are too many of them now and I'm not a computer guy. Plus, I'm scared of graduating but not being able to find a job.

I just had a class on GIS in my Pedagogues of Place class.

Void
11-13-2014, 11:40 PM
I just had a class on GIS in my Pedagogues of Place class.Wut?

X
11-13-2014, 11:43 PM
Wut?

It is a place-based learning class for my Education program.

Nordlending
11-13-2014, 11:51 PM
- Retail Management
- Public
- Macro Economy (Most difficult shit I have ever tried to learn)
- Logistic,

Ah sweet student life. Sitting here drinking redbull while trying to make sense of the paper I am supposed to turn in tomorrow morning (8 hours).

X
11-13-2014, 11:52 PM
You guys really suck at Uni. It is so easy.

Ultra
11-14-2014, 12:25 AM
You guys really suck at Uni. It is so easy.

>English Major

X
11-14-2014, 12:55 AM
>English Major

You could get your English degree? Don't be jealous when I have two degrees.

Ultra
11-14-2014, 01:10 AM
You could get your English degree? Don't be jealous when I have two degrees.

que pasa?

I'm saying you can't invalidate the complaints about Uni's difficulty just because you took an easy major.

X
11-14-2014, 01:11 AM
que pasa?

I'm saying you can't invalidate the complaints about Uni's difficulty just because you took an easy major.

I am curious just how many people would find it easy if they had to take it.

Ultra
11-14-2014, 01:12 AM

I know I would.

Source: 4 years of college level creative writing curriculum at old highschool

With the exception of those who are just inherently bad at english/writing (like super technically inclied engineering folks), its not hard.

Underfed Somali
11-14-2014, 01:18 AM

Apply this to yourself and just think for a moment you're doing Biochemical engineering or a physics major.

It's just a different world. No offense to your academical accomplishments, but you can't compare the two.

Allara
11-14-2014, 01:45 AM

-What is your major?

- Law
- what?
- Obligations
- EU Law

X
11-14-2014, 02:15 AM
I know I would.

Source: 4 years of college level creative writing curriculum at old highschool

With the exception of those who are just inherently bad at english/writing (like super technically inclied engineering folks), its not hard.

So you can write creatively. That is not even useful in Uni English.

Apply this to yourself and just think for a moment you're doing Biochemical engineering or a physics major.

It's just a different world. No offense to your academical accomplishments, but you can't compare the two.

I could easily do that shit.

Ultra
11-14-2014, 02:26 AM
So you can write creatively. That is not even useful in Uni English.

There's no skills that are that helpful for Uni english because any homo with half a brain could do it :smh

http://i.imgur.com/doH8i.jpg

Crispinianus
11-14-2014, 02:34 AM
I'm gonna laugh so hard when people realize that they wasted their time chasing these degrees.

>yfw you can't find a job in the connection economy :cry

Ultra
11-14-2014, 02:46 AM
I'm gonna laugh so hard when people realize that they wasted their time chasing these degrees.

>yfw you can't find a job in the connection economy :cry

>yfw you can't find a connection in the connection economy because nobody likes your money grubbing more enlightened than art thou ass

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/a/ac/298Azurill.png

Tell me, how's networking been these days my social butterfly :maybe

Crispinianus
11-14-2014, 02:51 AM
>yfw you can't find a connection in the connection economy because nobody likes your money grubbing more enlightened than art thou ass

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/a/ac/298Azurill.png

Tell me, how's networking been these days my social butterfly :maybe

I freelance and take random gigs on Craigslist. That's good practice. :kanyeshrug

Unfortunately, we don't have the job security and certainty that previous generations had.

Ultra
11-14-2014, 02:54 AM
I freelance and take random gigs on Craigslist. That's good practice. :kanyeshrug

Unfortunately, we don't have the job security and certainty that previous generations had.

Gigs, you say? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

True dat. Disagree that it makes a degree useless, though. Just most of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Millennium Creed
11-14-2014, 03:02 AM
Why is it that some majors are jokes, though? :(

I know one reason is because there are more graduates than jobs available but surely there's more, no? Is it just because that in fields like creative writing you need connections?

Nordlending
11-14-2014, 03:13 AM

I know one reason is because there are more graduates than jobs available but surely there's more, no? Is it just because that in fields like creative writing you need connections?

Passion, luck and connections are the most important I think.

Underfed Somali
11-14-2014, 03:26 AM

Let me elaborate.

If you want to be an accomplished english academic you need a few skillsets. A good grasp for English and language in its broader sense. Critical thinking and analysis. (you may add onto this) And the ability to formulate thoughts, ideas etc.

Now when you do Biochemical engineering or some Beta study, you will need those; a good grasp for english and language, critical thinking and analysis. The ability to formulate thoughts. But also mathetatical abilities, insight in various different aacademic fields.

The more focused your study is, the easier it is to attain critical information. When your study becomes broader in its subjects, (when different fields overlap) it becomes harder because you need more knowledge and skills to attain mastery in its field.

That's why english will always be easier than the fields that meshes these different fields together.

I'm not saying you couldn't do it, perhaps you can. Sadly though you feel like you have to defend your intelligence for some reason which is apparently related towards your study? :/

But it's generally common sense that these fields are way harder than English.

Crispinianus
11-14-2014, 03:31 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Surprisingly, X is being more delusional than me in this thread. You should be harassing him.

Ultra
11-14-2014, 04:45 AM
Surprisingly, X is being more delusional than me in this thread. You should be harassing him.

What do you think I've been doing?

Riki
11-14-2014, 08:44 AM

also because it's generally a lot easier to get into uni for some courses than for others

like I dunno about other unis but for example at mine Software Engineering needs like a ~95+ average, Computer Science maybe ~90+, and Geomatics (which is like ComSci + Geography) needs like ~80+, so generally people who can't get into SoftEng go to ComSci (:(), and people who can't get into that either go to Geomatics

ComSci people make fun of people in Geomatics and SoftEng people make fun of both

and the same applies in general to anyone in a more difficult course making fun of people in easier courses

X
11-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Let me elaborate.

If you want to be an accomplished english academic you need a few skillsets. A good grasp for English and language in its broader sense. Critical thinking and analysis. (you may add onto this) And the ability to formulate thoughts, ideas etc.

Now when you do Biochemical engineering or some Beta study, you will need those; a good grasp for english and language, critical thinking and analysis. The ability to formulate thoughts. But also mathetatical abilities, insight in various different aacademic fields.

The more focused your study is, the easier it is to attain critical information. When your study becomes broader in its subjects, (when different fields overlap) it becomes harder because you need more knowledge and skills to attain mastery in its field.

That's why english will always be easier than the fields that meshes these different fields together.

I'm not saying you couldn't do it, perhaps you can. Sadly though you feel like you have to defend your intelligence for some reason which is apparently related towards your study? :/

But it's generally common sense that these fields are way harder than English.

Still super easy.

What do you think I've been doing?

You've been agreeing with me that you couldn't finish an English degree.

Ultra
11-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Still super easy.

You've been agreeing with me that you couldn't finish an English degree.

Concession accepted, your degree does not require significant skill or intelligence. It's okay, as long as you know a little more than the ninth graders you teach.

X
11-15-2014, 03:48 AM
Concession accepted, your degree does not require significant skill or intelligence. It's okay, as long as you know a little more than the ninth graders you teach.

All I hear is made jelly coming from your mouth. Stay mad as you struggle through your easy degree. I will be on the other side drinking your tears.

Ultra
11-15-2014, 04:12 AM
All I hear is made jelly coming from your mouth. Stay mad as you struggle through your easy degree. I will be on the other side drinking your tears.

You'll be needing those tears to flavor your diet of Ramen noodles, since you can't afford anything better on a teacher's salary :kanyeshrug

Riki
11-15-2014, 04:54 AM
You'll be needing those tears to flavor your diet of Ramen noodles, since you can't afford anything better on a teacher's salary :kanyeshrug

hey are you trying to knock ramen

Valyrian Steel
11-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Poor X is getting ping ponged between Ultra and Ruben :lmao

X
11-15-2014, 05:40 PM

Teacher's get paid pretty decently in Canada, boy. You keep forgetting I am not a product of the failed American education system.

Poor X is getting ping ponged between Ultra and Ruben :lmao

I am not too concerned. One thinks he is holier than God and the other hits the chronic too hard and is now a paranoid fuck.

Ultra
11-15-2014, 05:47 PM
Teacher's get paid pretty decently in Canada, boy. You keep forgetting I am not a product of the failed American education system.

You sure fooled me.

Nordlending
11-15-2014, 06:54 PM
You sure fooled me.
http://i.imgur.com/RQaoaSb.png

Millennium Creed
11-15-2014, 06:57 PM
How decently we talking?

Valyrian Steel
11-15-2014, 07:31 PM

I am not too concerned. One thinks he is holier than God and the other hits the chronic too hard and is now a paranoid fuck.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55144905.jpg

Pacifista
11-15-2014, 10:38 PM
My Major is International Studies with a Strategic Studies concentration. I go to a public college and as for classes? Well, I'm actually terrible at math so those classes tripped me up (though I was fine with Statistics). It was accounting that made me realize that a Business Degree wasn't for me though and I didn't end up with a Major declared until I was already in my Jr. year of college. Since then it's been quite a ride and I'm almost finished with college (only a few more weeks until graduation). Honestly, I think I need to sit down and really take a close look at my time in college. there have been many things to happen in the years that I've been going here and I'm definitely a much different person now than when I came in.

As for classes that I enjoyed? Political Science classes on East Asian Countries, exploring political systems, my Pres. and Congress class, Japanese and my Macro and Econ. Geography classes. I also really liked my Geology sequences and my Speech class. Pretty sure I'm missing a lot of other classes though. I really liked most of my classes, honestly. There were just a handful that I didn't. I do wish I had taken more time to enjoy each day as it came, however, and done more with people, classes and studying alike. But overall, I think I've been decently successful. Now I just have to put all of it to use outside of a school setting.