PDA

View Full Version : Wages Vs Company Profits

X
05-22-2014, 02:27 AM
What do you guys think salaries and hourly wages should be based on? Should the companies overall net worth play a big part of it? Should the value of the occupation and its importance to people be the bigger factor? Or should it be based on the demand of the society? I question how some wages are determined. For example, at mines, workers are paid a lot of money not only because their job is dangerous and risky, but also because the mining companies themselves make a ton of money. But on the other hand, some places like McDonald's, which makes a lot of money, do not pay their workers anywhere near the same amount of money as mining companies do. I know that there is a lot of injustice in the world of earnings, but I am curious to hear what your opinions are on the subject.

Ichiryuu
05-22-2014, 02:32 AM
I sometimes hate how much some people work to earn their money and can only just afford their monthly costs, while their higher-ups (manager/boss) who pretty much only keeps an eye on them and does some easy deskwork earns so much more that they can afford a house at least twice as big as those hard workers and can easily save up for extra expenses and holidays besides their monthly costs and probably have like 3 cars or something.

Pimp of Pimps
05-22-2014, 03:06 AM
I think you should get paid for the importance of your work as an individual in relation to the overall success of the company as well as how difficult it is to achieve your skillset. So it makes sense that the more money the company makes, the more you should get paid. Within limits, of course. Only large increases in overall company profit should prompt an increase in wages and even then it should only be after it's made sure that the increase in company value is not a short-term thing.

I think far more important that all of this is simply treating your employees well. Give them some really nice perks (Google lets you get a massage at work), be compassionate (Valve told an employee with cancer his job was to get better, they didn't fire or suspend him) and stuff like that. Also, give opportunities for advancement.

X
05-22-2014, 03:09 AM
I think you should get paid for the importance of your work as an individual in relation to the overall success of the company as well as how difficult it is to achieve your skillset. So it makes sense that the more money the company makes, the more you should get paid. Within limits, of course. Only large increases in overall company profit should prompt an increase in wages and even then it should only be after it's made sure that the increase in company value is not a short-term thing.

So where would you put the value of teachers in your grand scheme of things? They are responsible for nurturing the minds of the youth and the future, as well as watching over them at different points in their lives. They also have to put up with a lot of shit at times. Just curious to your opinion.

Pimp of Pimps
05-22-2014, 03:11 AM
Yeah, teachers should definitely get paid more than they are now. Lots of teachers I've talked to say they have to get jobs in the summer and I feel it's ridiculous that they have to resort to that. On the flipside increased wages should also imo mean the qualifications become more stringent.

X
05-22-2014, 03:17 AM
Yeah, teachers should definitely get paid more than they are now. Lots of teachers I've talked to say they have to get jobs in the summer and I feel it's ridiculous that they have to resort to that. On the flipside increased wages should also imo mean the qualifications become more stringent.

I agree. Here in Saskatchewan, a ton of people get into Education, which means that a lot of graduates are forced to go get jobs in rural places or even on reservations. Rarely to graduates get urban jobs right away. There just seems to be too many people being let in, which dilutes the hiring pool.

pizzadust
05-26-2014, 02:03 AM
If you do a job that requires more labor, skills or that only a small amount of people are capable of doing you deserve to get payed more than someone that works at McDs, regardless of rather or not the company makes a similar profit.

With that said, I do think that people who do simple jobs like working at McD's should get payed a bit more than minimum wage if the company can afford to.

Tsu
05-29-2014, 01:10 PM
I agree. Here in Saskatchewan, a ton of people get into Education, which means that a lot of graduates are forced to go get jobs in rural places or even on reservations. Rarely to graduates get urban jobs right away. There just seems to be too many people being let in, which dilutes the hiring pool.

It always confuses me when people talk about how poorly their teachers are paid. Heard it from people in America/Canada/Middle East, it's apparently like that in a bunch of places.

Here teachers are paid pretty well, have essentially guaranteed jobs, and scale their pay upwards based on length of employment even if they don't get into management.

That's why I have it as a pretty solid backup plan for a career.

X
05-29-2014, 01:27 PM
It always confuses me when people talk about how poorly their teachers are paid. Heard it from people in America/Canada/Middle East, it's apparently like that in a bunch of places.

Here teachers are paid pretty well, have essentially guaranteed jobs, and scale their pay upwards based on length of employment even if they don't get into management.

That's why I have it as a pretty solid backup plan for a career.

Ya, Education isn't that lucrative of a career. Though I will get paid a bit more since I will have two degrees.

Tsu
05-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Ya, Education isn't that lucrative of a career. Though I will get paid a bit more since I will have two degrees.

Like I said it's pretty deec here.

I really don't see why teachers would get paid so badly, if the government is going to invest into anything, education seems like a good bet, like it is here.

Have you considered teaching english as a foreign language or something? As in moving to like the middle east/japan etc.

Been told numerous times that it's very well paid and it's something I considered quite seriously when thinking about teaching.

Nordlending
05-31-2014, 02:44 PM
There are many reason why miners get paid more than people at McDonald's. First of all miners need more competence than people jobbing at McDonald's, I have a friend who used to work as a miner in Svalbard, it was demanded that he should be able to drive a huge amounts of vehicles and work machines. The work is also more dangerous and isn't healthy either. It also demands moving in most cases.

The standard teacher salary should be decided by the quality of the teacher.