PDA

View Full Version : X-Men Movies Thread

Makenzye
05-14-2014, 04:08 PM
I couldn't find a generic thread for X-Men movies, just individual movies. I also don't want to go about creating thread after thread so I figured I'll just make this thread for news, talk, and updates about X-Men movies in general.

With that in mind:

Channing Tatum has been announced to play the Cajun thief Remy "Gambit" LeBeau in future installments of the X-Men. This comes after the announcement that Hugh Jackman will probably not be playing any more Wolverine movies and Fox is going to need another bad boy anti-heroesque character to fill that role if the franchise wants to maintain itself. Coming from around New Orleans, Tatum feels he can really pull off the Cajun feel to the womanizing, card throwing, stick wielding mutant. He might be a bit big for the part, but I've found him funny enough to pull it off. I feel bad for him because he'll probably have to wear those color contacts.

https://s.yimg.com/os/publish-images/movies/2014-05-13/81ce0600-dab7-11e3-8a42-a5c54714cc4a_ChanningTatum_Gambit1_051314.jpg

Nordlending
05-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Maybe, but that guy doesn't look like a bad boy.

Makenzye
05-14-2014, 05:01 PM
I won't lie, I'm a bit worried he won't be able to pull it off as well as I'd like him to. But he seems to be a pretty good actor and I've enjoyed him in other movies so I don't mind it for now.

Pacifista
05-14-2014, 05:11 PM
While it's refreshing to hear that Wolverine will finally take a back seat to things, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of Gambit filling the same role.

Makenzye
05-14-2014, 06:24 PM
I'm not either, but Fox is pretty deadset on using the gritty bad boy to help prop up their movies since those are the easiest to sell.

It would actually be kind of nice to see it through the eyes of Iceman or something.

Pacifista
05-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Yeah it would. Speaking of, what do you think about Days of Future Past? With First Class, it was like we got a fresh new look at characters and we saw the development of Xavier and Magneto. From that beginning, there could have been several adventures and stories that they could of told. However, with them meshing the old X-Men movies with the First Class storyline already, are they through with it or will they continue you even after this?

Makenzye
05-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Yeah it would. Speaking of, what do you think about Days of Future Past? With First Class, it was like we got a fresh new look at characters and we saw the development of Xavier and Magneto. From that beginning, there could have been several adventures and stories that they could of told. However, with them meshing the old X-Men movies with the First Class storyline already, are they through with it or will they continue you even after this?

Man oh man. We are soul twins sometimes. I actually felt like the announcement of Days of Future Past was already closing the door on First Class.

First Class was by far up to that point the most ambitious and satisfying of the X-Men movies. It was fresh, it had interesting characters, beautiful casting, and an atmosphere none of the other X-men movies matched. It had Xavier and Magneto face front and large in a story which bridged two very unique characters and shattered them apart with an emotional punch that actually fit really well. With that in mind, I was actually a bit dissapointed in the announcement of Days of Future Past and a merging of the two teams. Why? Because like you said, First Class was ridiculously rife with potential. It wasn't depending on the screen chewing Wolverine, it wasn't requiring a big story plot to carry the characters, it was a truly character driven X-Men movie. There is so much it could do and so much it can explore. But it still might.

I am sort of getting the feeling that the "present" X-Men will go to the wayside, and the newly formed "First Class" X-Men might take over the franchise since Jackman is departing with the next movie. This means the X-Men must explore new ground and First Class is the way to go. Formed from Days of Future Past, I get the feeling we'll be seeing more of the First Class which is superb because like we agree First Class is truly a breath of fresh air concerning superhero movies.

Pacifista
05-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Hmm. You know, what if---instead of going back to the Current storyline---they continue along First Class's timeline? After this big cast merging, we'll go back to young Xavier and follow his timeline as he develops, now drastically changed from experiencing Days of Future Past. In this way we can see him form the X-Men team, picking up some of the more familiar members as he goes (Scott, Munroe, etc) but also facing drastically different challenges than the original X-Men movies and allowing the characters to get the screentime and development that they deserve. Almost like a Reboot without rebooting.

Although, If I remember correctly, they already plan on facing Apocalypse or something and I'm pretty sure that'd be with the "Current" storyline and characters...

Makenzye
05-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Hmm. You know, what if---instead of going back to the Current storyline---they continue along First Class's timeline? After this big cast merging, we'll go back to young Xavier and follow his timeline as he develops, now drastically changed from experiencing Days of Future Past. In this way we can see him form the X-Men team, picking up some of the more familiar members as he goes (Scott, Munroe, etc) but also facing drastically different challenges than the original X-Men movies and allowing the characters to get the screentime and development that they deserve. Almost like a Reboot without rebooting.

Although, If I remember correctly, they already plan on facing Apocalypse or something and I'm pretty sure that'd be with the "Current" storyline and characters...

That's what I was saying, but you put it far more eloquently. :lmao

I think the future X-Men shape the younger X-Men sort of like the JJ Abram's Star Trek in a way.

And yes, Apocalypse is the next film, but that can still be a First Class. It'll be Jackman's last film as well.

X
05-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Tatum can probably do a good Gambit; I really enjoy him as an actor. Though I heard he let himself get fat, so he has some work to do.

I am also excited for X-Men: Days of Future Past. It should be a really solid film.

Makenzye
05-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Days of Future Past has been getting rave reviews, and I've heard it described as the single best X-Men movie ever as well as one of the best superhero movies ever.

I think Rotten Tomatoes gave it over a 90%.

Mos' def' checkin' it out this weekend.

White
05-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Days of Future Past has been getting rave reviews, and I've heard it described as the single best X-Men movie ever as well as one of the best superhero movies ever.

I think Rotten Tomatoes gave it over a 90%.

Mos' def' checkin' it out this weekend.

It was hyped pretty well at the end of the recent wolverine and you cant go anywhere without seeing it advertised

Makenzye
05-23-2014, 03:49 PM
It was hyped pretty well at the end of the recent wolverine and you cant go anywhere without seeing it advertised

Agreed. The advertisement for this has been insane, and the spots in Wolverine and ASM2 have been great.

Nordlending
05-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Gonna watch this movie at the cinema now.