PDA

View Full Version : Shonen or Seinen?

Millennium Creed
08-10-2011, 01:08 AM
Which category of manga do you like better?

Marimo
08-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Shounen...duh :maybe

pizzadust
01-19-2014, 04:13 AM
Iīve only just started reading seinen and only like Attack on TItan and Kindom atm. With that said I think Seinen atleast from what Iīve read is better written than shounen. I still like shounen more though.

I still havenīt checked out vinland, Berserk and Vagabound yet

Rob
01-19-2014, 04:55 AM
Considering Death Note, FMA, One Piece, HxH and Toriko are shonen...

Valyrian Steel
01-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Seinen

Y
01-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Gotta say Shounen..

Pimp of Pimps
01-19-2014, 01:32 PM
I usually like shounen more, but there's no denying seinen has much more potential.

Heracles
01-19-2014, 01:38 PM
i like both equal the only difference is the gore and the nudity level

MM
01-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Attack on Titan is shonen IIRC.

I like both equally. Although seinen manga tends not to be so limited in exploration of certain topics than shonen. Topics like sexuality, horror, gray morality etc. As well with much looser censorship laws, authors can explore these topics in a more vivid way when writing a seinen manga. That does not mean that seinen manga is always written better.

Of course the difference between shonen and seinen manga can be paper thin. Kingdom is a seinen but if the author were to cut down on the nudity and violence just a little bit, it could easily pass for a shonen. However Kingdom does benefit from being a seinen in that the author is not limited by the rules of censorship in shonen. Much like if Attack on Titan had some more sexually explicit content, it would be a seinen. Despite that the story would be unchanged in either case.

However I read manga for entertainment, even if a seinen manga explores more interesting topics, it does not mean its execution is more entertaining than what a shonen can offer. Simplistic stuff like fighting ultimate evil with energy blasts can be pretty entertaining depending how the authors executes it.

Maki
01-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Yeah, snk is shonen.

White
01-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Seinen

Myst
01-19-2014, 03:40 PM
I prefer Seinen, it deals with themes and topics in a way that isn't as black and white as most Shounens do.

Also my favourite manga (Nausicaa) is Seinen so yeah, although it is pretty close to the fine line that separates the two genres.

Egress
01-19-2014, 08:24 PM
I like both equally. I have no preference nor do I see any reason for there to be a preference. Although I have read better quality mangas of the seinen genre than shonen,

I still havenīt checked out vinland, Berserk and Vagabound yet
Oh but you must.......