PDA

View Full Version : Science Fiction Literature

X
03-14-2014, 01:14 AM
Have you guys ever read a science fiction novel, and if so, how do you feel about theme? I am not huge into science fiction, because sometimes I don't pay close enough attention and the science aspect goes over my head. I am taking a science fiction class in school, and I must admit, it really isn't that bad.

Maki
03-14-2014, 04:18 AM
I think science fiction has some of the best novels ever written. Brave New World, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Flowers for Algernon, most of H.P. Lovecrafts works, and let's not forget the classic that started it all, Frankenstein

Makenzye
03-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Science Fiction novels can be very good, but it depends on how much "science" you want.

Like some people are really turned off by "Hard science fiction" since it tends to run a lot of science and explanation with it. I personally enjoy those more, but some feel it comes at the expense of story and character development, or find it similar to a lecture at some points.

L
03-14-2014, 07:31 PM
I think science fiction has some of the best novels ever written. Brave New World, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Flowers for Algernon, most of H.P. Lovecrafts works, and let's not forget the classic that started it all, Frankenstein HARDEST FUCKING BOOK I READ MY FRESHMAN YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL, I HAD TO READ IT FOR SUMMER VACATION. I HARDLY KNEW ANY OF THE FUCKING WORDS IN EACH SENTENCE. AFTER, TEACHER ASKED FOR A REPORT. "SPARKNOTES.COM" GOT ME MY "A".

Ultra
03-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Have you guys ever read a science fiction novel, and if so, how do you feel about theme? I am not huge into science fiction, because sometimes I don't pay close enough attention and the science aspect goes over my head. I am taking a science fiction class in school, and I must admit, it really isn't that bad.

Isaac Motherfucking Asimov is the king of science fiction.

Read any one of his novels.

As a testament to his works, his infamous Foundations series won the Hugo award for "Best all time series", ever. Like, beat Lord of the Rings.

Haven't read all of the series but the shit is really good.

Crispinianus
03-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Dune was good shit and it was funny seeing how much it influenced Star Wars

Phoenix
03-14-2014, 10:20 PM
HARDEST FUCKING BOOK I READ MY FRESHMAN YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL, I HAD TO READ IT FOR SUMMER VACATION. I HARDLY KNEW ANY OF THE FUCKING WORDS IN EACH SENTENCE. AFTER, TEACHER ASKED FOR A REPORT. "SPARKNOTES.COM" GOT ME MY "A".

:rotfl

X
03-14-2014, 11:38 PM
I am currently reading Neuromancer by William Gibson, and I must say, it is a pretty tough read so far.

L
03-19-2014, 08:31 PM
I am currently reading Neuromancer by William Gibson, and I must say, it is a pretty tough read so far.

i feel your pain :(

X
03-19-2014, 09:20 PM
i feel your pain :(

You've read it? I finished it, and I actually ended up enjoying it. It is interesting to note that William Gibson actually coined the terms cyberspace and matrix.

Raid3r2010
07-26-2014, 05:06 AM
Ubyk by Philip K. Dick.

Mindblown SF Novel.DICK was such a ... PSYCHO.