PDA

View Full Version : Dystopian Literature

X
03-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Have you guys ever read a Dystopian literature novel, and if so, how do you feel about theme? I think that a world that has become a shell of itself is always a neat idea, and the most interesting part of these novels are seeing how the world has become that way, and how the characters have changed because of it.

pizzadust
03-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Ive been a fan of dynostopic literature ever since I read the giver series.

Live Fast Eat Ass
03-06-2014, 10:27 PM
Fallout: Equestria is where its at.

Allara
03-06-2014, 10:41 PM
Brave New World
Fahreinheit 451

In order of the best, these are the top 3 Ive read. I wouldnt say that the world necessarily becomes a shell of itself in any of them. A common misconception with dystopian literature is that society itself must have become a shell of itself to be classed as dystopian, but that isnt true.

In all of those novels the society conforms to a totalitarianism ideology, but in terms of advancement the society remains largely untouched

Crispinianus
03-06-2014, 11:38 PM
The Man in the High Castle is an alternate history novel about a cold war between Germany and Japan, who ended up winning WWII

X
03-06-2014, 11:45 PM
Brave New World
Fahreinheit 451

In order of the best, these are the top 3 Ive read. I wouldnt say that the world necessarily becomes a shell of itself in any of them. A common misconception with dystopian literature is that society itself must have become a shell of itself to be classed as dystopian, but that isnt true.

In all of those novels the society conforms to a totalitarianism ideology, but in terms of advancement the society remains largely untouched

I read A Brave New World in my Speculative Fiction class, and I think an argument good be made in how the novel was actually a Utopia.

Allara
03-06-2014, 11:54 PM
It can be said that a lot dystopian fiction can be seen as utopian depending on what perspective youre looking at it from, if you ask a lot of the characters from the books themselves a lot of them would say that their society is far from being dystopian. Good and bad or utopian and dystopian; its really just a clash of ideologies.

Makenzye
03-06-2014, 11:57 PM
Brave New World
Fahreinheit 451

One of my favorite stories ever. No clue why. I just enjoy the heck out of it.

Allara
03-07-2014, 12:01 AM
The prose Fahreinheit was written in was fantastic. Its easily one of my favourite novels as well, 1984 is probably the best book ive ever read though.

Makenzye
03-07-2014, 12:02 AM
I've only read parts of 1984. I really do need to go read it.

What are some other suggestions of dystopian novels, you guys?

Allara
03-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Yeah Id definitely read 1984 in its entirety, it could be slow at times but the ending was the most climatic and powerful thing ive read. The only thing that really comes close to it for well written endings is The Great Gatsby imo

The Road by McCarthy is a pretty good book to read as well, its quite depressing it could really drag but the prose it was written in was great. If you liked Fahreinheit id recommend the road

Phoenix
03-07-2014, 12:09 AM
The Giver.

pizzadust
03-07-2014, 01:48 AM
I read A Brave New World in my Speculative Fiction class, and I think an argument good be made in how the novel was actually a Utopia.

I think it's the same way for most dystopia societies. Looking at it from the outside it looks like a dystopia, but the citizens are content.

VICE
03-07-2014, 05:22 PM
I read 1984 few years ago, it was quite depressing actually, and reminded me so much of current north korea. i want to listen, watch and read happy feel good stuff, so this was an experimental take.

needless to say, i felt bad. but it's a good story regardless.

Allara
03-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Youre from North Korea?

I think the best part about 1984 is that everything that happens in it is completely plausible in reality, if people allow appeasement to happen in their nations and dont stand up against something which is clearly wrong then this type of thing is certainly possible. Even emotions like the love that people harbour for one another, which even during the eras of stalinism or naziism remained as something unbreakable and sacred for the victims of the holocaust, could in fact be broken if society progresses to far down that route as it did 1984.

Metaphorically, its a very beautiful and intelligent novel.

VICE
03-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Youre from North Korea?

I think the best part about 1984 is that everything that happens in it is completely plausible in reality, if people allow appeasement to happen in their nations and dont stand up against something which is clearly wrong then this type of thing is certainly possible. Even emotions like the love that people harbour for one another, which even during the eras of stalinism or naziism remained as something unbreakable and sacred for the victims of the holocaust, could in fact be broken if society progresses to far down that route as it did 1984.

Metaphorically, its a very beautiful and intelligent novel.
I take everything that's said about NK and speak of it as reality.
(well not really)

well, they too have radios inside the houses you can't shut off, it's like an example of 1984, on a smaller scale.
well... i'm not even going to claim i know what happens there, but it's an example of a country where the state controls its people.

what a tragic end to the 1984 book....