PDA

View Full Version : Rate The Last Book You Read

Phoenix
01-16-2014, 01:37 AM
The title is pretty self explanatory.

Catcher In The Rye
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Rye_catcher.jpg

The book is about teenage alienation.The main character might not be the best at times but after a while you can relate to him. He believes pretty much everyone he meets is a phony for different reasons (Even though he's the biggest phony in the book). The book is considered a classic but I'd have to give it a 7.8/10.

Schnarf
01-18-2014, 09:35 PM
The Underland Chronicles - 6.5/10 pretty good for a children's series
The Lord of the Rings - 10/10
Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - 6/10

Valyrian Steel
01-19-2014, 09:16 PM
I've read the first two installments of the Iron Druid this past week. I really like it. I initially picked it up in hope of it being similar and yet different to the Dresden Files. Both are Urban Fantasy. Basically, the books follow the endeavors of a two thousand year old Irish Druid. He's immortal and goes by the name of Atticus- one of his many names. Atticus is the last Druid, and to put it mildly, he can't keep himself from getting into trouble. It's partly due to his poor decision making and witty arrogance. The plot of Hounded( the first book) is basically the past catching up to Atticus- a god from the Irish mythology wants him dead. Atticus obviously doesn't wanna die.

It's pretty similar to Dresden Files, although not on the same level quality wise. Harry and Atticus are similar in nature, but Harry has his darker side to him. Both suffer from poor decision making and the consequences that follows. On the surface both are witty, both have a large repertoire of pop culture references. But like I said, Harry is a deeper character. My opinion might change down the line as I have on,y read 2 out of the 6 books. The side characters are alright. Nothing too outstanding. Oberon is by far my favorite, though. But I prefer the side cast of Dresden Files more. I'm not gonna compare the world building as I have yet to read more from Kevin Hearne's series. All in all, it turned out to be similar to Dresden Files but with its own charms and unique aspects. I'm definitely gonna continue reading

8/10

DoflaMihawk
01-22-2014, 01:21 AM
Tigana

This book. This wonderful epic-fantasy book. It starts in the middle of a war, where a Prince kills the son of a Sorceror. The Sorceror retaliates by killing the Prince, wiping out everyone in the Prince's generation and removing the name of the Prince's homeland from the minds of men. Now only people from the homeland can hear or remember the name and nobody else in the world can. The Prince's son, along with a group of loyal friends and followers, go on an epic quest to defeat the Sorceror and restore the name of their homeland.

I cannot say enough good things about this book. The characters are believable, the settings are beautifully-described and every emotion you can think of will be felt while reading this book. My only complaint is that character emotions can sometimes run a little more extreme than they should in certain situations, but this only happens rarely and isn't a big deal. So yeah, awesome book, I recommend it to everybody, especially ASoIaF fans.

9.5/10

Phoenix
01-22-2014, 01:37 AM
Tigana

This book. This wonderful epic-fantasy book. It starts in the middle of a war, where a Prince kills the son of a Sorceror. The Sorceror retaliates by killing the Prince, wiping out everyone in the Prince's generation and removing the name of the Prince's homeland from the minds of men. Now only people from the homeland can hear or remember the name and nobody else in the world can. The Prince's son, along with a group of loyal friends and followers, go on an epic quest to defeat the Sorceror and restore the name of their homeland.

I cannot say enough good things about this book. The characters are believable, the settings are beautifully-described and every emotion you can think of will be felt while reading this book. My only complaint is that character emotions can sometimes run a little more extreme than they should in certain situations, but this only happens rarely and isn't a big deal. So yeah, awesome book, I recommend it to everybody, especially ASoIaF fans.

9.5/10

How many pages?

DoflaMihawk
01-22-2014, 01:39 AM
Just under 700.

Valyrian Steel
02-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Done with Codex Alera. First 2 books werr quite dull compared to the later installments. Particularly the 3rd, 5th and 6th. This series could actually get a pretty good anime adaption. The story revolves Tavi- a young farm boy who grows into something more( it's intentionally cliche). The setting is in Alera, a world where the Lost IX Roman Legion dissapppeared to, arriving in Alera a 1000 years before the actual story. Aleran's are descendants of that Roman Legion. The powers/magic is very similar to Bending from Avatar. Except it gives a plethora of extra abilities associated with said elements. Watercrafters( the system is collectively known as Furycrafting) can along with manipulating water, use it to heal and they can shapeshift into other persons. All Crafters have some extra sensory abilities- Watercrafters have some sort of empathy net, they can discern the emotions of people around them, which makes it very hard to lie to them. Earthcrafters have superhuman physical strength as long as they are in contact with the ground. They can move beneath the ground, manipulate the element, and sense through the earth( think echolocation). Plus they can incite lust and calm animals. Firecrafters can manipulate fire and heat. One firecrafters extracted heat from a pond- freezing it instantly. In the same manner as Earthcrafters, they can incite fear, dispair and courage. Metalcrafters are elite swordsmen. They can manipulate metal- make it flexible, harder and etc. Metalcrafters can sense all forms for metal near them- which makes it extremely stupid to try and kill a Metalcrafter without Furycrafting or stone weapons. Two Metalcrafters can even duel in complete darkness due to that. Metalcrafters are gifted with extreme stamina and endurance. They can force out all emotions and fight for days. Woodcrafters can manipulate flora to various degrees, camoflouage themselves if any flora is near them. Woodcrafters are master marksmen. Their wood manipulation practically makes them elite snipers with a bow in their hands. Windcrafters are similar to airbenders, but on juice. They have enhanced perception( they can see movements in slowmotion when drawing on their fury), fly via windstreams, they have superspeed, can use invisibility veils, zoom lenses out of air, manipulate weather, allowing them to use lightning. Plus a small group can draw sunlight into ther lenses, resulting in a deathray. The source of their abilities comes from spirits known as Furies. They can be either invisible or take physical forms. Crafters usually only summon them in tier physical forms when they need them. Not all Crafters are limited to one form or crafting- a large portion of Aleran's can actually draw on several elements and furies. In the Legions, the most stongest/skilled crafters are divided into Knight Orders. Knights Ignus( fire), Knights Aeris( wind), Knights Terra( Earth), Knights Flora( Wood) and Knights Ferrous( metal). Watercrafters are usually healers. The strongest crafters in the series are the High Lords and Ladies. The uppercrust of the Citizens( ruling class). They usually command strong furies in all elements. Among them is the First Lord( the ruler of Alera). A High Lord is equavalent to the Avatar.

X
02-27-2014, 07:30 PM
The Moonstone

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/The_Moonstone_1st_ed.jpg

Technically I have not finished reading this yet, but this is something that I have to read for my independent study in my Crime and Detective fiction class. It is a Victorian century novel, called the first mystery detective novel ever, about a precious stone called the Moonstone which goes missing. This book is not only long and extremely drawn out, but the mystery is kind of a secondary plot the novel. It is a somewhat of a tough read and it is taking me forever to get through it. I am not enjoying myself.

3.5/10

pizzadust
03-23-2014, 06:15 AM
Enders Game

It's a sci fi that takes place after a battle against an alien species called "The Buggers". Earth is now united, but with major political instabillity, and the only thing that's universally agreed by every faction on the Earth is that something must be done about The Buggers. Because of this the society has a huge focus on intellect, strength, and to some degree morality. Ender is pretty much the ideal human, and is used to lead the war against the Buggers after extensive training and testing.

This book delivers, and is a very entertaining read. The battles/games that are within the book are very well thought out, and the main character is very well written. In the end this book's main focus is morality, and Ender, the main character goes through a lot of moral struggles.

9/10

X
03-23-2014, 06:21 AM
Neuromancer

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/Neuromancer_(Book).jpg

Well, this was my first super science fiction book, and what I mean by that is science fiction terms, technologies, and things not even invented yet. It is interesting to note that William Gibson coined the term cyberspace and matrix. While I was a bit lost for the first 95 pages, the rest of the book was amazing. I really enjoyed it for some reason. Probably because I enjoyed the Matrix film so much and could visualize what was happening while I read the novel. Though the ending is a little weak, it is a curious thought to wonder how AIs could advance in the world.

7.5/10

DoflaMihawk
03-23-2014, 08:16 PM
The Wasp Factory

The main character is a kid who lives alone with his father on an island in Scotland. His brother used to live with them too, until he went mad and was sent to an asylum. The brother's crimes include burning dogs alive and forcing children to eat maggots and worms. The main character isn't exctly innocent either. This kid has killed three kids already, sometimes for some crazy reason and other times, just on a whim. He's kept his crimes hidden so far. He claims he won't kill again, but is he telling the truth?

This book is morbid and vulgar and disgusting but I still love it so much. It's a short read (under 200 pages) so the story never dragged and it kept me interested the whole time, along with a freaky twist ending! But still, I recommend those with weak stomachs to keep away from this book as it will make them sick.

8.768/10

*On a funny side-note, the author puts several reviews of a wide variety on the front of the book. These range from saying the book is great to calling it a piece of shit. I find it funny the author gives us all these different opinions so we have no idea what to expect.

MagicHatResident
07-20-2014, 05:10 AM
Previously Read
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MBhS9kt132U/TsWiz693oiI/AAAAAAAAAKk/kGXVDY38PG8/s1600/The+Return+of+the+King.jpg
this book continues the story that started in the Fellowship of the Ring and continued in The Two Towers. It follows the story of a few seperate journeys that are all conected one way or another. frodo and sam trying to make it to mordor despite being up against staggering odds. Aragorn having to take up his place as king of gondor and facing certain death many times along side his friends. Gandalf is trying to guide his friends on the right path without doing there job for them and he does it well.
Is definelty one of my favorite books 9.5/10

Currently Reading
Hunger Games: Catching Fire
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RbB7_i9QZbQ/UFtocynLG9I/AAAAAAAAAqA/dhPZy-6rg6g/s1600/the-hunger-games-catching-fire-book-cover.jpg
So far i am at Part II: The quell and so far i give it a good 8/10. The characters are doing there best to handle the situation involving the capitol which keeps the 12 districts under control in the most harsh ways possible. the first book was also good and should be read first if you plan on reading this one.

The King
07-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Mushoku Tensei. About a neet who died and got re-incarnated in another world. Done with volume 1.
Nothing really amazing about it, tbh.
6/10

DoflaMihawk
07-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Well I'm reading a series atm so:

The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three

This is the second book of the saga. The whole story is about a man named Roland (the last gunslinger of his world) and his quest to find the Dark Tower. This particular book concerns his journey into a new world (our world) and attempt to recruit three people from that world to join him on his quest. It's a great book overall but again, only part of a much greater series. It's kinda like Lord of the Rings, only much darker and better. I recommend it to anyone who might like that sort of thing.

9.2/10

The King
08-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Meta by Tom Reynolds
A guy finds some bands that gives superpowers blah blah blah. A very disappointing read. I only went through with it because I need to read more novels in the superhero genre.

X
08-23-2014, 06:05 PM
The Thin Executioner

http://www.darrenshan.com/images/sized/images/uploads/bookcovers/9780007315826-220x339.jpg

The Thin Executioner by Darren Shan tells the story of Jebel Rum and his quest to gain invulnerability from the Gods in order to become the next executioner of his city in order to regain his honor. This book is a fantasy adventure books and details the journey that Jebel takes in order to petition the Gods. While this is a good book, it is still pretty focused on being a young adult novel, as is the norm with Darren Shan, and that hurt the novel a bit. There is no real gruesome trials or insane adventures for Jebel, but instead most of his journey is him being lucky. The hardest things that Jebel must overcome is escaping slavery several times. I wish this book would have had some more fighting or harder obstacles to overcome, but it is not a bad read.

7/10