PDA

View Full Version : Frank Herbert's Dune

Big Boss
12-24-2013, 09:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/8dn6B3F.png

Dune is a science fiction franchise that originated with the 1965 novel Dune by Frank Herbert. Dune is frequently cited as the best-selling science fiction novel in history. Dune won the 1966 Hugo Award and the inaugural Nebula Award for Best Novel, and was later adapted into a 1984 film as well as a 2000 television miniseries. Herbert wrote five sequels, and the first two were presented as a miniseries in 2003. The Dune universe has also inspired some traditional games and a series of video games. Since 2009, the names of planets from the Dune novels have been adopted for the real-world nomenclature of plains and other features on Saturn's moon Titan.

The political, scientific, and social fictional setting of Herbert's novels and derivative works is known as the Dune universe, or Duniverse. Set tens of thousands of years in the future, the saga chronicles a civilization which has banned artificial intelligence, but has also developed advanced technology and mental and physical abilities. Vital to this empire is the harsh desert planet Arrakis, only known source of the spice melange, the most valuable substance in the universe.

Big Boss
12-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Anyone read the books, watched the movies/series or played the games?

Fatty
12-26-2013, 09:45 PM
I watched the original a long time ago and remember it was long and kinda boring, but i guess hardcore sci fi fans would appreciate it. I might have to re watch it again i honestly dont remember much about it accept their eyes turned blue when they snorted dust or something.

Crispinianus
12-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Oh, this is one the stories that George Lucas ripped off.

Big Boss
12-26-2013, 09:50 PM
I guess this forum is too newfag for Dune :hmm

I watched the original a long time ago and remember it was long and kinda boring, but i guess hardcore sci fi fans would appreciate it. I might have to re watch it again i honestly dont remember much about it accept their eyes turned blue when they snorted dust or something.

:lmao

Crispinianus
12-26-2013, 09:53 PM
I guess this forum is too newfag for Dune :hmm

Nah, I'm familiar with it.

Rim
12-26-2013, 10:02 PM
My avatar is a dune pic.

Obs ive read the series, and all but the newest books.

Sean Connery
01-21-2014, 01:22 PM
I've read the book, and the movie was one of my favoites as a child