PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Preference -- Anime or Manga

Bold
11-28-2013, 11:12 PM
What's your preference, and why do you prefer that medium over the other?

For me it's anime.

While I do enjoy reading manga, one of the elements that it really misses out on for me is sound. I always feel the music can really push a scene's quality so much higher. Then there's the voice acting as well. When the voice acting is on point, just the tone of the actor's voice can really make that joke funnier, or that speech stronger, or make that backstory sadder. While anime in some cases adds filler or warps the manga's original intention, I think there are plenty of examples where an anime is just as good as (or even better than) it's manga counterpart.

Crispinianus
11-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Manga.

The art is better and more consistent.

Live Fast Eat Ass
11-28-2013, 11:24 PM
Manga. Anime often has pathetic animation, and poor direction. Moreso if its a manga adaption.

Pacifista
11-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Manga for me as well. They're usually so true to form, much more so than most anime.

Riki
11-29-2013, 12:02 AM
For pretty much all series that I've seen that have both a manga and anime adaptation, I've liked the manga more.

Live Fast Eat Ass
11-29-2013, 12:32 AM
That being said, Akira has an incredible adaptation.

Phoenix
11-29-2013, 03:36 AM
Manga.

Exceptions: Code Geass, YYH

Underfed Somali
11-29-2013, 02:33 PM
As a medium, I prefer Anime, due to above mentioned reasons (music and sound). Overall as an average of the medium I do enjoy manga more, because they are less censored and yeah the adaptations from manga to anime is pretty horrendous most of the time.

Valyrian Steel
11-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Manga

Coruscation
11-29-2013, 03:24 PM
I haven't watched and read that many to compare, but so far I find myself preferring whichever is the original. It's mostly because of the feeling of authenticity that you get when it's the original author/creator(s). As an example, Shingeki no Kyojin got a fantastic adaption, it has great music, gives the world color and makes it come alive, but I still prefer the manga by a long shot because it feels more authentic. I can't really point to the reasons I prefer it besides that one word. I watched the anime first for reference. Same goes for One Piece, and although that is an adaption of significantly lower quality the reasons are really the same: it doesn't fully feel like the OP that Oda creates.

Louis-954
11-29-2013, 04:01 PM
More often than not it's an adaption that turns me on to a series, but once I'm all caught up it's the manga that keeps me captivated. There are very adaptions that I prefer over the source material. Even so, I can't pick one over the other because if not for the adaptions I probably wouldn't have bothered with 3/4ths of the series I'm currently invested in.

Pimp of Pimps
11-29-2013, 04:18 PM
I prefer anime if it's done right.

Bold
11-29-2013, 04:19 PM
It's funny how completely different the poll results and the actual thread discussion are. I'm kinda surprised anime is doing this well actually.

Big Boss
11-29-2013, 05:20 PM
That being said, Akira has an incredible adaptation.

Akira is an overrated piece of shit. I haven't read the manga, but based on what I saw in the movie, I imagine its 87 chapters are vastly superior to 2 hours of rushed horse shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Anime is always going to be superior to manga if done right, but the problem is that it almost never is done right, lol. Only few studios have the resources and talent to do it right. Studio Madhouse is the best one I know. I've never seen them screw up any of the anime they have produced. Be it original work or adaptations.

Bold
11-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Akira is an overrated piece of shit. I haven't read the manga, but based on what I saw in the movie, I imagine its 87 chapters are vastly superior to 2 hours of rushed horse shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Anime is always going to be superior to manga if done right, but the problem is that it almost never is done right, lol. Only few studios have the resources and talent to do it right. Studio Madhouse is the best one I know. I've never seen them screw up any of the anime they have produced. Be it original work or adaptations.

Yeah, there's not too many great studios out there. I like Madhouse and BONES in particular. Wit Studio's work on Attack on Titan has put my eye on them as well now.

Egress
11-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Depends, but generally manga by a small margin over anime.

Rob
11-29-2013, 08:32 PM
It's different for every series, really.

Overall,
Anime Pros:
-Get to see action clearer
-Color
-More feeling
-OSTS

Anime Cons:
-Filler
-Shit animation here and there

As for the series I've seen, I'd chose,
Manga for Toriko
Manga for One Piece
Anime or Manga for Naruto
Manga or Anime for Bleach
Anime for FMA and Death Note (Never read the mangas for them, but from the looks of it, the anime did an amazing job with the two)
Anime (2011) for HxH

Nordlending
11-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Manga in 9 of 10 cases.

Anime is usually better if they are made out of a light novels like Sword art online was.

Manga is normaly better but sometimes Anime can beat it. Gintama has a better anime because of the effects, music, voice animation and art is fantastic. I tried watching fairy tail once but because Natsu sound like a sick girl in the middle of puberty I had to give up. One piece was good until the team who made it gave up on making it good.