PDA

View Full Version : The Rise of Manhwa

Bold
11-20-2013, 11:22 PM
There's no denying that Manhwa is getting increasingly popular nowadays. Notable examples like City of Darkness and Feng Shen Ji are lauded for their art quality. Tower of God's plot has built a remarkably large fanbase. Are there any Manhwas out there that you'd personally recommend? How do you feel most Manhwa compare to Manga?

EDIT: Misspelled the title. :facepalm Could a kind soul correct it to Manhwa please? :)

FerreiraDaSilva
11-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Don't read Tower of God, but it seems like the plot is very promising and all. Unfortunately for me the earlier chapters art were too poor, I guess it deserve a second chance though.

Feng Shen Ji has great art and a decent storyline. The storytelling isn't so great but it seems like the author is slowly enhancing the major plot with secondary elements, flash backs and stuff. The pace is a bit rushed but I like it.

City of Darkness has potential. Right now the side plot of all protagonist group is emerging in a great war in the streets.

I recommend Feng Shen Ji and City of Darkness for everybody interested in some easy reading with great art and epic fighting scenes.

Schnarf
11-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Girl of the Wild's, Green Boy, Noblesse, Rebirth Knight (art is almost identical to Bleach), The God of High School, Witch Hunter, and The Breaker are all pretty good

Live Fast Eat Ass
11-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Priest

Pimp of Pimps
11-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Man, I completely forgot about Noblesse. It took a break a long while ago and I never started reading it again. :lmao

Tendou
11-21-2013, 12:24 AM
the colouring in most manhwas is flat and sort of embarrassing in terms of what you would expect from a professional. granted you have the odd gems like FSJ that employ a myriad of colour schemes that dont look like bad attempts at minimalism and imply some sort of texture to the line art. FSJ has some beautiful cover designs though. if blood and steel counts as a manhwa then its the best of them all in terms of art at least (from what ive seen, which isn't much tbh).

Big Boss
11-21-2013, 01:38 AM
There's no denying that Manhwa is getting increasingly popular nowadays. Notable examples like City of Darkness and Feng Shen Ji are lauded for their art quality. Tower of God's plot has built a remarkably large fanbase. Are there any Manhwas out there that you'd personally recommend? How do you feel most Manhwa compare to Manga?

EDIT: Misspelled the title. :facepalm Could a kind soul correct it to Manhwa please? :)

City of Darkness and Feng Shen Ji are Manhua (Chinese manga). Though, Tower of God is manhwa (korean manga), so I'll give you credit for getting that right.

Basically, manhua = jizz-fucking-tastic art, manhwa = decent (printed) and shitty (webtoons) art.

I would personally recommend The Gamer and Dice: The Cube That Changes Everything. Both are webtoons and both are new, with only a two dozen of chapters, so it won't take long to catch up. Both are also fairly similar. Dice has an awesome first chapter with a cool bgm, which is something I really like about webtoons.

The manhwa I am reading or planning to read: The Last Question (one-shot), Peak, La Mosca, Killer Stall, Gepetto, Paladin, Shin Angyo Onshi, Kubera, Dark Air, Magician (KIM Sarae), Over Stream.

To be honest, manhwa and manhua isn't my cup of tea. They have somewhat weak stories and they're all centered around fighting.

Phoenix
11-21-2013, 04:22 AM
Don't read Noblesse.

Live Fast Eat Ass
11-21-2013, 04:55 AM
Priest

Bold
11-21-2013, 07:54 AM
City of Darkness and Feng Shen Ji are Manhua (Chinese manga). Though, Tower of God is manhwa (korean manga), so I'll give you credit for getting that right.

Basically, manhua = jizz-fucking-tastic art, manhwa = decent (printed) and shitty (webtoons) art.

I would personally recommend The Gamer and Dice: The Cube That Changes Everything. Both are webtoons and both are new, with only a two dozen of chapters, so it won't take long to catch up. Both are also fairly similar. Dice has an awesome first chapter with a cool bgm, which is something I really like about webtoons.

The manhwa I am reading or planning to read: The Last Question (one-shot), Peak, La Mosca, Killer Stall, Gepetto, Paladin, Shin Angyo Onshi, Kubera, Dark Air, Magician (KIM Sarae), Over Stream.

To be honest, manhwa and manhua isn't my cup of tea. They have somewhat weak stories and they're all centered around fighting.

Huh. This is what happens when you don't check things out yourself I'spose. Still, thanks for the recommendations. Especially when they're short series. :mihawk

Yeah, I noticed the story wasn't that strong from what I've seen of City of Darkness. I haven't gotten too far, but it's strongest aspect is definitely the art. I've been meaning to give Feng Shen Ji a read for a while now so I'll see how that compares. I haven't read too many manhwa but I just noticed that the term and popular manhwa (and manhua) are coming up pretty regularly.

FerreiraDaSilva
11-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Of course City Of Darkness isn't any One Piece nor even Toriko, most of times it's too fast paced leaving some aspects of the storytelling weak. However, once the first volume is over another side plots start to emerge with each other and now I'm particularly looking forward for it.

Nordlending
11-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Yureka and Cavalier of the abyss.

Live Fast Eat Ass
11-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Priest

Bold
11-22-2013, 11:31 AM
the colouring in most manhwas is flat and sort of embarrassing in terms of what you would expect from a professional. granted you have the odd gems like FSJ that employ a myriad of colour schemes that dont look like bad attempts at minimalism and imply some sort of texture to the line art. FSJ has some beautiful cover designs though. if blood and steel counts as a manhwa then its the best of them all in terms of art at least (from what ive seen, which isn't much tbh).

Yeah, this is a problem with a lot of manhwa I've seen. I know Tower of God's colouring isn't all that and there are actually a lot of manhwa out there where the styles are pretty similar which is pretty disappointing.

I just checked out Blood and Steel and it turns out that it's actually a manhua like City of Darkness and Feng Shen Ji. So there's even fewer gems in that department than I thought. At least I can vouch for ToG having a pretty good plot to it.

Of course City Of Darkness isn't any One Piece nor even Toriko, most of times it's too fast paced leaving some aspects of the storytelling weak. However, once the first volume is over another side plots start to emerge with each other and now I'm particularly looking forward for it.

I'll keep at it then.

Don't read Noblesse.

I shouldn't read Noblesse? What don't you like about it?

Priest

This must be good. :maybe

Live Fast Eat Ass
11-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Priest

- - - Updated - - -

Priest

Heracles
11-22-2013, 05:27 PM
the gamer

Phoenix
11-22-2013, 11:56 PM
@Bold

It gets repetitive after the 2nd arc.

Villain arrives in Korea... Frankenstein defeats them. Next arc literally the same thing happens.

ET Rice
11-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Manhwas I recommend?
I've only read 4 Manhwas.

Tower of God = MUST READ
Noblesse = MUST READ
The Breaker = MUST READ
The Breaker : New Waves = MUST READ

yeah................
:swag