PDA

View Full Version : Are You a Manga Collector?

Pacifista
07-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Do you like to buy and collect manga and anime or do you just use the internet? Reveal your collection of DVD's, VHS, manga and anything else related to a series here.

V
07-17-2012, 06:23 AM
I don't really collect anything related to anime or manga, just use the internet.

Pacifista
07-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Huh. No desire to have a certain collection of a series or anything?

V
07-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Nah

Great Potato
07-17-2012, 06:40 AM
I don't know if I'd call it a collection, but I have a lot of games.

pizzadust
07-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Yeah I should start collecting manga in a few years they won't be any bookstores selling manga nor comicstores. in a few more years intenet piracy will be so bad they get released on the internet before their released in the comic and bookstores.

Pacifista
07-17-2012, 02:36 PM
I don't know if I'd call it a collection, but I have a lot of games.

That's fine. I have

One Piece: Grand Battle
One Piece: Grand Adventure
One Piece: Unlimited Adventure
One Piece: Gigant Battle
One Piece: Gigant Battle 2

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi
Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi 2
Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi 3

And I think that's it for manga/anime based games.

Yeah I should start collecting manga in a few years they won't be any bookstores selling manga nor comicstores. in a few more years intenet piracy will be so bad they get released on the internet before their released in the comic and bookstores.

I prefer the actual copy as opposed to the internet so I have to save up money to get more manga and such.

Marimo
07-21-2012, 06:03 PM
I have the Soul Eater DVD's...DBZ seasons 4, 5 and 6 *Androids - Cell Games*, All the DBZ Movie DVD's besides the Cooler and Broly movies. DBGT seasons 1 & 2. A Soul and Black*Star Plush and a mini chain scythe. A Black*Star hat (Recently signed by English VA, no longer wear it)

A Mirai Trunks replica sword, Zoro's Replica swords, Trafalgar Law's Replica Sword and Hat, and Mihawk's Sword (Actual Carbon Steel)

Soul Eater Volumes 1-9 In English (10 comes out in August)

Aaand.....I think that's about it

Berserker
07-21-2012, 06:03 PM
had a good manga collection back then but sold most of it except the db and vagabond volumes

Z
07-21-2012, 07:40 PM
I have all the Rurouni Kenshin volumes, 1-28.

Marimo
07-21-2012, 11:18 PM
I have all the Rurouni Kenshin volumes, 1-28.

You win this thread...

The last time I went looking for RK Manga Barne's N Nobles had The Viz Bigs 1-6 for it.....NO 7!!!!!!!!!!! :killu I couldn't believe they were missing the last one.....I did not buy a single Volume

Chahige
07-22-2012, 05:29 PM
I actually prefer to read manga on my computer, and thus have collected and neatly arranged every manga I read on my computer, rather than buying it in volume form. I did buy every volume of One Piece a few years ago though, but bought in swedish (my native language) which turned out to be a mistake, since the swedish translation made me think I was reading a story for mentally retarded 3 year old kids. Hence, I gave it away to a friend to get him to read it, and planned to buy the VIZ translations instead.

I do have a fine collections of books though, primarily fantasy books, with notable examples being George R. R. Martin's, Brandon Sandersson's, Raymond E. Feist's and Robert Jordan's fine works.

Pacifista
07-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Ah I see. Yeah, a terrible translation can absolutely ruin a series and the ability/desire to collect it. The manga Parasyte had a bad release by Tokyopop in Mixxine but luckily it was later picked up by Del Rey Manga which released a superior product that was muuuuuuuch closer to the original Japanese version. I now currently own all 8 Volumes.

And books you say? Hmm, you should talk more about those in the Library Section. Share what you like about those authors, their books and otherwise. Sounds like there could be some really interesting topics possible.

DoflaMihawk
07-23-2012, 04:32 PM
I have Yu-Gi-Oh cards. Do they count? :maybe

Pacifista
07-23-2012, 04:34 PM
I never thought of that specifically but yeah, that'd be cool. Which ones do you like the most/are your more valued ones?

White
07-23-2012, 04:35 PM
I live with quite a closed-minded family. It's not that I'm ashamed of Manga and Anime and stuff, I'd just rather they didn't know.

DoflaMihawk
07-23-2012, 04:36 PM
I never thought of that specifically but yeah, that'd be cool. Which ones do you like the most/are your more valued ones?

Egyptian God Cards.

If Yu-Gi-Oh becomes popular again, I can either:

1/ Use them to win every duel.
2/ Sell them for a lot of money.

Pacifista
07-23-2012, 04:39 PM
I live with quite a closed-minded family. It's not that I'm ashamed of Manga and Anime and stuff, I'd just rather they didn't know.

Oh dear. Manga would be taboo? That sounds like you're pretty confined.

Egyptian God Cards.

If Yu-Gi-Oh becomes popular again, I can either:

1/ Use them to win every duel.
2/ Sell them for a lot of money.

Hm. I thought you couldn't use the God cards in a duel. But I think I have Obelisk somewhere. I also have the Blue Eyes, Red Eyes and the Ultimate Dragon.

DoflaMihawk
07-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Only in certain torunaments. Plus, I didn't mean I wanted to compete in tournaments and stuff. Just casual fun with some friends.

My God Cards own your Dragons. :LOS

White
07-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Oh dear. Manga would be taboo? That sounds like you're pretty confined.

Its not that it's an outright taboo so much, but I just don't think they'd be very understanding if they knew that I was a pretty big Manga fanatic. :/

Pacifista
08-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Just added Berserk volumes 15 and 25 as well as Gantz 12 and 13 to my collection.

Marimo
08-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Recently added Soul Eater NOT! Volume 1 to my collection...waiting on Soul Eater Volume 10 later this month

Z
08-12-2012, 09:29 PM
I think I will take pictures of my comic book collection and post it here so you all can feast your eyes.

And be jealous.

Pacifista
08-13-2012, 03:41 AM
~Hungry eyes~

Pacifista
08-21-2012, 02:12 PM
So is there a certain series that any of you are trying to finish collecting? I know I eventually want all of One Piece, of course.

Marimo
08-25-2012, 03:23 AM
Added Soul Eater Volume 10 to my collection today...Also Soul Eater's headband from the beginning of the manga. Bought it at Mizu Con :fyeah

Z
12-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Going to post a picture of some graphic novels I have in a little. Thought I'd share my collection with you.

X
12-20-2012, 01:04 AM
If I had the money to spare, I'd absolutely love to buy all the volumes of One Piece. I do enjoy physically owning things then using them for free on the internet.

Z
12-20-2012, 01:07 AM
I got all the RK volumes since I was obsessed with the manga when I was in middle school but they're stacked up somewhere so I'll just post pics of some DC/Marvel Graphic Novels I own.

Tendou
I have all of Buddha and Akira.

Underfed Somali
I have like 50 pieces of manga in my possession. Mostly Berserk, vagabond and one piece.

Back in the day I would always say I'd buy these Anime too, but I rather have a book than a dvd, I have to play them off my computer anyway, and I don't like the sound of my dvd-player while I watch shit.

Z
12-20-2012, 03:27 AM
http://s12.postimage.org/qr730vql8/get_attachment.jpg

http://s2.postimage.org/dc2kn7660/get_attachment2.jpg

Sorry for the blurry quality.

Marimo
12-21-2012, 02:46 AM
Recently purchased Soul Eater Volume 11 and Soul Eater NOT! Volume 2

Makenzye
12-21-2012, 03:54 AM
I would sort of like to buy some, but I'm sticking with online for now until I find a series I'd like to purchase for the road and whatnot.

Z
12-21-2012, 04:09 AM
Wow no one commented on my collection and I posted it up for you all.

Smh screw you fags. :pek

Makenzye
12-21-2012, 04:12 AM

To be honest, I couldn't seem to open your spoilers for some reason. Please forgive this lowly jagoff. :cry

Z
12-21-2012, 04:14 AM
Really? They don't work for you?

Z
12-21-2012, 04:18 AM
:giogio

Someone could have said that. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Great Potato
12-21-2012, 04:19 AM

It's a nice collection. Unfortunately I'm haven't read all of the comics you posted, but I do recognize a few gems in there like "The Killing Joke"

Z
12-21-2012, 04:20 AM
Yeah The Killing Joke is fantastic. I have more novels but those were the first ones I got my hands on so I took a picture.

Makenzye
12-21-2012, 04:28 AM
Killing Joke? Always an excellent selection for any comic book collection.

Berserker
12-21-2012, 10:48 AM

post the link only without tags.

Pacifista
12-21-2012, 04:03 PM

The problem is that within the image tag you put in the URL. If you wanted to link the actual internet page then you would use a URL tag instead. However, since you are using an image tag I suspect you just want to show the pictures. You would do that by right clicking on the picture and then choosing the option that says "View Image Info." You copy that and then put it in your image tag. Like this...

http://s2.postimage.org/hxyovjrp4/get_attachment2.jpg

http://s12.postimage.org/b5prgxen0/get_attachment.jpg

So in other words, inside the image tag I put in what I copied from "View Image Info" which showed up as either this ----"http://s12.postimage.org/b5prgxen0/get_attachment.jpg" or this "http://s2.postimage.org/hxyovjrp4/get_attachment2.jpg" so I hope that helps.

Tendou
12-21-2012, 04:09 PM
http://s12.postimage.org/qr730vql8/get_attachment.jpg

http://s2.postimage.org/dc2kn7660/get_attachment2.jpg

Sorry for the blurry quality.

>Batman Hush

Ma nigga.

Z
12-21-2012, 07:38 PM
The problem is that within the image tag you put in the URL. If you wanted to link the actual internet page then you would use a URL tag instead. However, since you are using an image tag I suspect you just want to show the pictures. You would do that by right clicking on the picture and then choosing the option that says "View Image Info." You copy that and then put it in your image tag. Like this...

http://s2.postimage.org/hxyovjrp4/get_attachment2.jpg

http://s12.postimage.org/b5prgxen0/get_attachment.jpg

So in other words, inside the image tag I put in what I copied from "View Image Info" which showed up as either this ----"http://s12.postimage.org/b5prgxen0/get_attachment.jpg" or this "http://s2.postimage.org/hxyovjrp4/get_attachment2.jpg" so I hope that helps.
I did right click and choose "copy image location" as the option.

>Batman Hush

Ma nigga.

Yeah man, I know Loeb gets a lot of slack and shit but Batman Hush was one of the key novels that got me into comic books.

Makenzye
12-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Hush is quintessential reading for any Batman fan and pretty much superhero comic fan in general. This was written by Jeph Loebb, who has a style perfect for Batman with his use of internal monologue and self examination. Loeb also wrote the well liked, "Batman: The Long Halloween." It was also some of Jim Lee's finest work. Hush is pretty much as good as Batman gets, and falls just behind "Batman: Year One," by Frank Miller (before Miller got all full of himself), "The Dark Knight Returns," also by Frank Miller, and "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth," by Grant Morrison. The last one was the inspiration for the game Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Pacifista
12-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Hmm. Then I'm not sure what you did wrong. I'll have to check again.

Anyway, that's a nice collection. I have Killing Joke but and one more but that's about it. Tell me about Hush. I've been interested in that one, actually.

EDIT:

Oh, Makenzye already talked a bit about it. Nice, I'll have to look into it.

Z
12-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Really I wouldn't call Batman Hush one of the best Batman stories or even close. I really like the art but I personally don't think the story was amazing or anything.

Makenzye
12-21-2012, 09:32 PM
I actually felt Hush was wonderfully done since it introduced a new character, peeled back a layer of Batman's history, gave fans the relationship they've wanted between Bat's and Catwoman, and then shot it all down in the end with Batman's character cycle of paranoia which seems to rule him. Also letting the Riddler shine for once is always a nice kick for me.

But then again, I've always liked Bats when he's very introspective. Actually, I only like Batman when he is since I normally don't like Batman.

Tendou
12-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Allstar Batman and Robin is great as well.

Z
12-21-2012, 11:44 PM
I think Grant Morrison writes Batman so extremely well and captures perfectly what the character is. I love Batman R.I.P. so much.

Hush honestly sometimes felt like an excuse just to cram in a bunch of guest characters in a Batman story. It is enjoyable though but I cannot say it is one of the best Batman stories ever.

Makenzye
12-22-2012, 02:25 AM
I agree about Morrison. Guy crafts a complete and fulfilling Batman story like nobody else.

Z
12-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Just got Watchmen in the mail.

"A work of ruthless psychological realism, it's a landmark in the graphic novel medium."
-One of Time Magazine's 100 best English-language novels since 1923.

"Watchmen is peerless."
-Rolling Stone

"Remarkable...the would-be heroes of Watchmen have staggeringly complex psychological profiles."
-New York Times Review

"A brilliant piece of fiction."
-The Village Voice

"Groundbreaking..."
-USA Today

"A masterwork representing the apex of artistry..."
-Entertainment Weekly

"The greatest piece of popular fiction ever produced."
-Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof

Wow.

Makenzye
12-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Have you never read Watchmen before?

I find myself rereading it around this time every year. I guess I like it best around the end of the year or something. Then I always read Neil Gaiman's Sandman right after. Then people fail to notice I've been missing. :(

Z
12-26-2012, 10:07 PM
I haven't read it before actually since I only read mainstream DC and Marvel but Watchmen's praise and hype is too much to pass up on.

Makenzye
12-26-2012, 10:35 PM
What you will not do is regret this choice. Watchmen is truly the bomb diggity. My suggestion is read it twice to catch a lot of the background.

Bold
11-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Do any of you have a manga collection? How many volumes do you own? Or is your preference in buying the occasional manga? Perhaps reading online is your forte?

I only own a Death Note Black Edition 1 (Vols. 1 & 2). I'll always prefer the feel of reading a tangible manga/book comapred to reading it off a computer screen. Still, I usually read mangas online because of the practicality of it. It's quick, convenient and you have a wide pool to select from at your fingertips.

Nordlending
11-13-2013, 08:28 AM
One day I will buy manga but not before i have a place to actually keep them.

Senpai
11-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Yep
Up to date on One Piece

Just missing a few for Naruto

Might start collecting Gintama

Riki
11-13-2013, 04:44 PM
The only thing I have is a Shonen Jump issue from 7 years ago

Valyrian Steel
11-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Most of the stuff I have is from when I was a kid. Complete DB/Z and Samurai Deeper Kyo somewhere in my basement

Bold
11-13-2013, 04:53 PM
hell no

why pay for something i can read for free?

it's like the fools who buy music cd's to support their favourite artist

jokes on them

:lmao

Don't you own the ASoIaF books?

Might start collecting Gintama

A wise decision to get interested in Gintama my friend. :quite

Pimp of Pimps
11-13-2013, 04:56 PM
hell no

jokes on them

The comics are much higher quality that the online versions, apparently.

Anyway, nope. Don't own any.

DoflaMihawk
11-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Ava's right, it's not worth it to actually buy the volumes.

Bold
11-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Some people simply enjoy collecting merchandise. And to be fair, not a lot of Mangakas have it easy when it comes to income. So for that, I can understand why fans would buy volumes to support the author.

Valyrian Steel
11-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Not in the west. Wouldn't make a difference. That's why I don't buy either

Bold
11-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Oh? Where does the money go to instead?

Valyrian Steel
11-13-2013, 06:29 PM
I'm not saying that they don't earn anything. On the contrary, compared to their Japanese revenue it's a tiny amount. Especially when most of the manga that gets translated into English is fairly successful in Japan.

Bold
11-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Hm. You learn something everyday.

FerreiraDaSilva
11-13-2013, 08:33 PM
In my country (Brazil) manga isn't cheap, at least not enough for someone keeping with 5~6 reads regularly, so I don't collect any currently, but I have the entire Dragon Ball series (most of DBZ also) and Hunter x Hunter from when my parents still bought this kind of stuff for me - good times.

Marimo
11-14-2013, 01:40 AM
I collect the Soul Eater manga when they become available. I've thought numerous times about purchasing the entire Rurouni Kenshin collection but I just can't see myself re-reading so I don't feel the urge to buy it

Phoenix
11-14-2013, 02:03 AM
hell no

jokes on them

This.

Valyrian Steel
11-14-2013, 02:09 AM
Also another reason I buy the ASOIAF books instead of manga is that by the time the manga hits a store near my house, it will be months/years after the chapter is released, so I'd be buying something I already read a long time ago.

But the online PDF files for the books don't come out until the books come out first.

I used to buy Shonen Jump before I knew that I could read Naruto manga online.

Do you have a iphone ? Use tuebl to download anything you want into Ibooks

Phoenix
11-14-2013, 02:14 AM
Who reads books on a tablet/phone?

The hard copy is where it's at.

Live Fast Eat Ass
11-14-2013, 03:30 AM
No

Judgement
11-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Nah I'm not a weeaboo.

Bold
11-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Who reads books on a tablet/phone?

The hard copy is where it's at.

It's pretty convenient. Especially when it's as small as your phone. If there's several books you need at the time (i.e. textbooks) you don't have to strain yourself carrying the extra weight. You could do the same with Manga I'spose.

Also another reason I buy the ASOIAF books instead of manga is that by the time the manga hits a store near my house, it will be months/years after the chapter is released, so I'd be buying something I already read a long time ago.

But the online PDF files for the books don't come out until the books come out first.

I used to buy Shonen Jump before I knew that I could read Naruto manga online.

True. A couple of months ago the most recent volume available here was when the Strawhats just arrived on Fisherman Island. They practically release them at the same pace as the anime.

In my country (Brazil) manga isn't cheap, at least not enough for someone keeping with 5~6 reads regularly, so I don't collect any currently, but I have the entire Dragon Ball series (most of DBZ also) and Hunter x Hunter from when my parents still bought this kind of stuff for me - good times.

If you could afford to purchase those 6 reads reguarly, do you think you'd prefer buying them or reading them online?

fyninja
11-14-2013, 11:23 AM
No. But I read a lot of mangas online.
I have ibooks. I buy book only the ones I really like.

Bold
12-28-2013, 05:17 PM
TMF needs more otakus like this guy (http://manganavi.jp/featured/bookshelf/20081102/). The guy's got a whole library in his house.

Yoshi
12-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Yes, I am...

I go to Barnes & Noble anytime I come across some cash.

The most I have are Bleach volumes, though, but I'm building up on Naruto, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Toriko.

X Leyva
12-28-2013, 05:26 PM
1 volume Hikaru No Go & Black Cat, 7 volumes of Yu Yu Hakusho, and 8 volumes of Rosario + Vampire, 23 volumes One Piece

I stopped buying Volumes when i learned i could read online free.

Bold
12-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Yes, I am...

I go to Barnes & Noble anytime I come across some cash.

The most I have are Bleach volumes, though, but I'm building up on Naruto, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Toriko.

So you still buy manga right? So what would you say to some of the replies on the first page that it's pointless to buy them?

Yoshi
12-28-2013, 05:57 PM
So you still buy manga right? So what would you say to some of the replies on the first page that it's pointless to buy them?

To go fuck themselves.

Heracles
12-28-2013, 06:08 PM
i have toriko volume 3

Berserker
12-28-2013, 06:13 PM
used to own a lot more but nowadays its only the remnants of vagabond and dragonball (a couple o volumes, each)

would like to buy some series who dont have good scans or are just too good. also reading the real thing is so much more better quality wise (ignoring the translation which can be extremly shitty)

Raid3r2010
08-16-2014, 03:37 PM
If you do what you're collecting ? :maybe

I wanna own every single volume of One Piece that is and pretty much everything interesting in the new 52.

08-16-2014, 03:38 PM
No

They are all free online

Crispinianus
08-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Only One Piece volumes.

White
08-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Yeah I dont buy any either. Im not at the point where I can just throw my money at anything I like whenever I like

But I might buy the volumes of One Piece once its finished to show my support

Raid3r2010
08-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Personally,got bored of reading them on PC and the feeling u get from reading a book is wayyyyyyyy beTTeR.

I read the Yu Yu Hakusho manga on PC 4 years ago and I was so bored till Younger Toguro appeared ... but when I read the 1st volume from the book it was entirely different,way better art quality and dialogues which surprised me in a good way and just a better feeling overall,holding the book checking each panel ... moving the page.I read it over and over that day.Next day I read it once more. :lmao

Milf of Milfs
08-16-2014, 03:49 PM
No because I'm not an autistic nerd.

Crispinianus
08-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Yeah I dont buy any either. Im not at the point where I can just throw my money at anything I like whenever I like

Do you pay for gas?

Milf of Milfs
08-16-2014, 03:59 PM
I used to before Obama.

Crispinianus
08-16-2014, 04:03 PM
I used to before Obama.

He's European, so he probably doesn't. That's the point I'm getting at. He can buy a volume at the end of the month, it's not that expensive. :lmao

Raid3r2010
08-16-2014, 04:05 PM

That sounds good.

No because I'm not an autistic nerd.

Oh man,that's how you see me ? :lmao

You should buy One Piece volumes at least. :brofist

Do you pay for gas?

I spend alot of money for wood during the summer so I can have a nice and warm winter.

Pacifista
08-16-2014, 06:34 PM
I do for series that I really like but I haven't bought many in a while. I'll continue when I get to it though---there are more important things to tend to though.

Millennium Creed
08-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Kinda but the order was hella random. I never had a full manga series except for Death Note. So I'd have like OP volume 24, Dragon Ball volume 5, Hunter x Hunter volume 13...

Live Fast Eat Ass
08-16-2014, 06:49 PM
I buy comics and then don't throw them away.

Void
08-16-2014, 08:43 PM
I only buy volumes of chapters/arcs that I like. Even if it's my favorite manga, like OP, I'm not going to buy every volume cuz that's wasting money.

I own a lot but FMA, ES21, Psyren, and Shokugeki no Soma are the only ones I plan to buy the complete collection of.

Yoshi
08-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Yes, and I plan to collect more...

@Jinn...

I'm an autistic nerd.

Neko
08-17-2014, 01:15 PM
I used to collect a lot of manga but currently i only collect Naruto and One Piece volumes.

Murphy
08-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Yes, a few. It's either series I think highly of or that cannot be found anywhere online, like most European comics.

I have all trades of Scalped, one of my all-time favorite comics. As well as Sergio Toppi's Sharaz-De and some old belgian comics. Recently got my hands on the first volume of a french comic called 'BLAST'. Well that's pretty much it.

As far as manga series go I own some volumes of Blades of the Immortal.

Makenzye
08-19-2014, 03:13 PM
I primarily collect comics. Superhero stuff makes up the bulk, but you'll commonly see me purchasing non-superhero comics.