PDA

View Full Version : Mad Men

Z
06-25-2013, 04:55 AM
http://www.amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/mm-season-1-key-art-590.jpg

So here is the official thread. I made it now since I finally finished the first season (blame my film interest and summer class). I recommend this show to anyone who admires skillful writing, effective characterization, great character interactions, and just a show that's very in control of itself.

http://actfourscreenplays.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/111844600-06192509.jpg

Here is a little summary:

"The lives of the men and women who work in an advertising agency in New York in the 1960s. The agency is enjoying success, but the advertising game becomes more competitive as the industry develops. The agency must adapt to ensure its survival. Don Draper is a talented ad executive at the top of his game, but the secrets from his past and his present threaten to topple his work and family life."

Draper is an extremely interesting character and Hamm gives one of the great leading performances of his time. The other characters are also very strong and human and compelling and with this show it's character first, plot second. That isn't to say the plot doesn't develop or that there isn't any. The plot indeed thickens as the episodes progress but it is done on an underplayed level.

I would say this is the type of show that if you're going to like, you'll be liking it by the end of the second episode for sure. It captures a certain time frame but it also adds a 21st century spin on it and it's got a really good atmosphere, and is stylish and can make a sizable impact on the viewer.

Looking pretty forward to the second season if I do say so myself.

Zoro
06-25-2013, 05:03 AM
I'm on episode 8 right now of the first season and I really have no idea where this show is going in terms of the plot, but the main character is interesting enough for to stay hooked onto it.

Z
06-25-2013, 05:30 AM
He is saying he doesn't know where the direction of the plot is heading, not that he doesn't know what's going on.

Parallax
06-25-2013, 06:20 AM
it's also probably the best shot show in television

I never keep up with the seasons as they come out, I always marathon it once it wraps up so once I finish Dr Who season 7 I'm gonna start up on season 6.

Z
07-13-2013, 06:43 AM
Almost done with Season 2.

This is just getting better and better.

Z
07-14-2013, 05:13 AM
Finished the second season. Damn I really wanna blaze through this cause it's such a captivating show but I need to focus on my class.

Everything just steps up a notch here (though to be fair the second season works off the first so naturally it's better). The performances, the shots, the struggles, and I love how unexploited it all is especially when you think they can exploit this angle a bit more for melodrama but it doesn't do it at all. It's so cool and detached on its surface and doesn't tell you to feel a certain way. You have to dig the rabbit hole yourself to see how far down it goes, it doesn't do it for you.

Hyped for season 3.

Parallax
07-14-2013, 06:56 PM
the finale was so good

season 3 starts off a bit slow imo but once you get to episode 4 it really really gets great. There are some of the all time best episodes in that season.

yessica
07-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Mad Men is a wonderful movie and i had watch it.The story of this movie makes me entertained a lot.

pizzadust
07-18-2013, 05:00 AM
Mad Men is a wonderful movie and i had watch it.The story of this movie makes me entertained a lot.

its a tv show.

Millennium Creed
07-18-2013, 05:45 AM
That was a bot lol.

Z
07-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Started off Season 3 today and knocked out 2 episodes already. Man this show is a blast.

Parallax
07-25-2013, 05:19 AM
it is isn't it

the more you grow to like the characters the more you like this show

Z
07-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Yep, I don't even dislike Pete at this point.

Z
07-28-2013, 01:37 AM
I just finished the third season and wow this show is just an unstoppable force right now. It just can't stop getting better and by this point you care for practically every single major character. It's gotten a lot more solemn and the style and the very good looking outward appearance seems to be giving way to what really lies underneath it all. Lots of richness and developments and I really am looking forward to what happens to Draper (and his colleagues) in all aspects of his life. I also find this show so much more rewarding and entertaining when you don't really take a character's side but distance yourself and watch it all from afar, enjoying the journey. That is not to say that you can't connect with the characters, because you certainly can.

Millennium Creed
07-28-2013, 02:29 AM
Gonna start this after I catch up on Hannibal

Z
07-29-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm halfway through Season 4 and it is easily the finest one so far. I finished episode 7 last night and that was just wow.

Millennium Creed
07-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Bout to start this now.

Millennium Creed
07-29-2013, 11:09 PM
Just finished the first episode. The class the characters exude and the general style of the cinematography make it wonderful to watch but for some reason I can't get the gist of the plot. From what I construed it's a show about salesmen/advertisers but what else is there? Anyways Don Draper is great so I'll likely keep watching, but the first episode hasn't worked wonders for me just yet. I dunno if that makes me weird when it comes to the show's demographic but yeah haha.

Also, great line:
"You're born alone and you die alone, and this world just drops a bunch of rules on you to forget those facts. But I never forget."

Z
07-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Well first off I noticed you don't commit yourself fully whenever you are watching something. You can't just have the show on another tab and TMF on another, you have to fully give yourself up mentally to it, otherwise you aren't going to like this.

Second, it might be your age. If you aren't liking it you simply might be too young to appreciate it properly.

Lastly, if you aren't really liking it by episode 3, you should stop watching because it's not going to radically change.

Millennium Creed
07-30-2013, 01:46 AM
I guess you're right. I have been paying attention to this show though. :pek

I'll watch more soon

Z
07-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Just finished Season 4 and it is nothing short of a master work. Clearly the best season so far. Stands out overall as well as in terms of individual episodes, and Draper as a character has never been more fascinating than he was here.

2 more left and I'll be all caught up with this.

Parallax
07-30-2013, 06:19 PM
4 is usually the one I lean towards as the best

great great season

Porcelainpot
07-30-2013, 07:11 PM
I have the first three seasons on DVD. I can't wait to start watching them, I already knew it was meant to be good but with the hype Z is giving it ...

Z
07-30-2013, 07:51 PM
As of now the show just gets better and better. 4 > 3 > 2 > 1.

Z
08-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Just finished Season 5.

This show has really hit its stride and for some time now. This was so good in so many ways and it has so much to offer. It's basically only just behind the 4th season overall but it certainly isn't a rehash of it and I just love how this series is always and I mean always going in new directions and angles. It pulled the rug straight out from under you and was pleasantly funny when you didn't expect it to be, harshly brutal, occasionally uncomfortable and tense, all neatly packed up in an icily cool package.

I don't think any show I have watched has been this consistently good for 3 seasons straight. So so excited for Season 6.

Live Fast Eat Ass
08-02-2013, 12:36 AM
The premise of this show is too unapealing for me to have ever given it a chance.

Z
08-04-2013, 04:32 AM
So just finished Season 6. All caught up.

This was a very mixed bag initially with the first few episodes feeling rather redundant and a rehash of the old, first couple of seasons' formula. It takes a while to get the whole stage set up and it's a bumpy ride to the final few episodes. But wow, wow, wow those final few episodes! Everything that initially felt uncreative or already used was in fact a slow burn that took its sweet time but when it warmed up, it lit the freakin' house on fire. This felt almost like a deconstruction of the first seasons (1 and 2 in particular). All the glamor is stripped away to reveal horrifying, shocking reactions and consequences. All the cast seem to be pointed in a direction, it's just not sure exactly which direction and of course, Don's is the most fascinating. You have to really REALLY hit rock bottom to start walking on the road to redemption and that finale was dynamite. It was gold.

Man, I love this show.

Z
08-04-2013, 04:35 AM
It's not completed yet. 6 seasons are out. The last season will be the 7th and that will air next year.

Z
08-04-2013, 04:43 AM
Season 1 of Mad Men pales to its latter ones though it's still very good.

It's actually Mad Men's worst season by far.

Millennium Creed
08-15-2013, 12:55 AM
I gave the first episode a rewatch and you're right, this show seems pretty cool. (I made a mistake because I would tune out unintentionally at times). The main character is interesting, the setup is cool, and it seems to have aspects of a great show. I have a feeling it's not gritty as shows that I'm used to watching like Sopranos or Wire but I do think I'll love this show.

Also, I don't like Campbell. Peggy may not have thought he was a creep but I sure do. :lmao

Parallax
08-15-2013, 06:25 AM
you'll like Campbell around season 3/4. His development is one of the slowest but most rewarding

The Gaddess
08-15-2013, 11:07 PM
So, I just watched ep 1. When does it start getting better? Not that it was bad or anything...

Z
08-15-2013, 11:12 PM
It gets better the more you watch basically.

Also everyone loves to hate Campbell but as you go through the episodes he becomes a lot more likable and you realize that he's just very very human.

Millennium Creed
08-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Yeah. I watched like 3 more episodes today and I just keep getting fascinated by Draper. Kind of a scumbag for cheating on his wife, though. But I guess that was common in those days.

Was Richard Whitman his war name or something?

Z
08-15-2013, 11:30 PM
I don't wanna answer that spoiler question because I don't wanna ruin it for you MC.

And yes, Draper is so freaking fascinating. He's the main sell of the show to be honest.

Parallax
08-16-2013, 06:04 AM
This show gets better the more you delve because you become so invested in the characters which is why every new season is the "best" season because there's not huge leap in writing or cinematography just the characters slowly getting more and more fleshed out.

Z
08-16-2013, 08:55 AM
You have any predictions for the last season?

Parallax
08-16-2013, 04:35 PM
nah not really

I try never to think it with that series. But I definitely think after the way the season ended there's a real feeling of finality. I don't know how else to explain it but it definitely feels the end is near for all the characters

Z
08-16-2013, 06:27 PM
You're right I don't make predictions either, just wondering if you had any.

There's definitely a finality coming for Draper. I just hope it's a positive one after what happened in the Season 6 finale.

Z
09-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Final season split into two parts just like Breaking Bad. Dammit now I have to wait even longer.

Parallax
09-21-2013, 04:02 AM
it's a shitty idea

Z
09-21-2013, 04:35 AM
Duh it's financially good for them, still sucks though.

SageMaster
09-21-2013, 07:22 AM
I love Mad Men.

Fuck AMC. At least Breaking Bad's structure allowed for the break to build up hype for the final episodes. Mad Men isn't that kind of show. It's mostly focused on the characters, rather than the plots.

Season 6 was a major turning point to Draper. Glad to see that the disastrous consequences of his actions seem to have finally made him realize that he needs to change his ways.

Z
09-21-2013, 06:46 PM
I loved the ending of Season 6, it might be my favorite ending to a season ever. Just the way Don and Sally look at each other and that beautiful song playing in the background. It was so perfect. The past was dirty for Draper but the future is looking solemnly bright. Man I get worked up just thinking about how good it was. LOVE this show.

Ahem...anyways yeah I don't think splitting Mad Men's final season into 2 parts is a good idea, but I think Weiner can make it work. I just don't want to wait another year.

Z
07-18-2014, 09:32 PM
There's a thread for this already.

And I've been telling you that since I don't remember.

Z
07-19-2014, 01:10 AM
You're probably still too immature to truly appreciate it, no offense, but let me know what you think anyways.

Cake
07-19-2014, 01:15 AM
That was pretty rude.

Z
07-19-2014, 01:17 AM
I'm always rude to Avalon and he knows it :LOS

07-19-2014, 01:37 AM
That was pretty rude.

I think you're the only one from the trio who still has the canada location :brofist

DoflaMihawk
06-30-2015, 08:52 PM
Finished the second season. Damn I really wanna blaze through this cause it's such a captivating show but I need to focus on my class.

Everything just steps up a notch here (though to be fair the second season works off the first so naturally it's better). The performances, the shots, the struggles, and I love how unexploited it all is especially when you think they can exploit this angle a bit more for melodrama but it doesn't do it at all. It's so cool and detached on its surface and doesn't tell you to feel a certain way. You have to dig the rabbit hole yourself to see how far down it goes, it doesn't do it for you.

Hyped for season 3.

Personally, I thought Season 1 was better. Everything was still a mystery, especially Don, and the more I found about him the less interested I was. Also S1 has more of my favourite scenes, like Betty shooting the pigeons and Don's carousel pitch at the end.

Not saying it wasn't enjoyable, but yeah I preferred the mystique Season 1 had.

Also Pete was an ass through and through, not sure how you came to like him lol.

VICE
08-02-2015, 07:54 PM
I watched the pilot with my parents.

we all enjoyed it and we'll see more episodes tomorrow!

I predict pete will ruin his marriage